VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

04 BEW 200k miles. I've replaced every important part already... Cam, turbo, timing belt, fixed glowplug harness, rebuilt injectors... I have spent thousands and the car literally behaves no better on cold start... driving me nuts.

The car has 2.5in straight pipe and EGR delete, stock tune.
Compression test:
Cyl 1: 360psi
Cyl 2: 360psi
Cyl 3: 340psi
Cyl 4: 370psi

No fault codes.
Only does it on cold start otherwise it starts and runs great.

I have a vcds if any info is needed please let me know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see the CEL is on. What's the code and have you cleared it to see if it comes back?
Also noticed the glow plug light goes off right away, guess it's not cold where you are.
Engine sounds awful, does it clear up once it's warm?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the CEL is on. What's the code and have you cleared it to see if it comes back?
Also noticed the glow plug light goes off right away, guess it's not cold where you are.
Engine sounds awful, does it clear up once it's warm?
Its an egr code from it being deleted. The glowplug light has always turned off quickly, i tested the plugs outside of the engine and they glow for about 5 seconds then shut off at 50F outside temp.

Yes once the car is warm it runs fine and starts up fast. I did notice with my new rebuilt injectors there is some white smoke if i rev it when its warm, which it didnt do with the og 200k mile injectors. Either way, og injecters, used set, and rebuilt set make no actual difference on cold start :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
If it turns off quickly in cold weather, the glow plug system is not working. Since it seems you repaired all that, it could be the CTS or one of the other temperature sensor reporting the wrong value. Check them all, cold, then hot. Look for whack reading..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel lines? You getting air in the lines causing the hard start?

Edit: watched the video...the white smoke is an interesting twist. What's the smoke smell like?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Have you connected a VCDS and checked the timing and Injection Quantity Deviation? The hard starting, smoke, and rough idle are similar symptoms of the injectors I had Kerma TDI "upgrade" with new nozzles and "Digital Calibration" in July 2020. Air Quotes because the "upgraded" injectors ended up being the problem. After I replaced the Kerma TDI Upgraded Injectors with BOSCH Remanufactured Injecters from IDParts.com, the Injection Quantity Deviation returned to what is consider Normal and the BEW starts easy and runs smooth. Connect VCDS, check timing (Torsion near zero) and IQDeviation. I suspect the problem is in the injectors if the torsion value is near zero within the spec range of +/-2.5 if I remember correctly. Here is the link to my original post: 2005 MK4 Golf TDI BEW Injection Qty Deviation after...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts

04 BEW 200k miles. I've replaced every important part already... Cam, turbo, timing belt, fixed glowplug harness, rebuilt injectors... I have spent thousands and the car literally behaves no better on cold start... driving me nuts.

The car has 2.5in straight pipe and EGR delete, stock tune.
Compression test:
Cyl 1: 360psi
Cyl 2: 360psi
Cyl 3: 340psi
Cyl 4: 370psi

No fault codes.
Only does it on cold start otherwise it starts and runs great.

I have a vcds if any info is needed please let me know.
How did you do your compression test? Those numbers are REALLY low. Cold, that would be the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts