VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the advanced technique for crankshaft removal. I am pretty sure this is correct and it might be a good note for the write up.
When a four cylinder engine is at TDC two pistons are at the top of their stroke and two are at the bottom of their stroke. When the camshaft is rotated 90 degrees, the crankshaft is rotated 180 degrees and again two pistons will be at the top of their stroke and two will be at the bottom. Like the TDC position all the valves will be closed in this new position and it will not be necessary to force the valves open when the camshaft is placed in to position.

Regards

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
At TDC, only the #1 valves are fully closed. This is why when you loosen and tighten the camshaft, you're supposed to loosen the caps in order 1, 3, 5, and then 2, 4. I just loosen them all a little bit before really loosening them because I think it helps keep it even and under less stress but I don't know if it really makes any difference.

Yes, when the camshaft is rotated the pistons are moved but the point of it is to get the slot in the camshaft 90 degrees so that you can remove it. If you don't, you have to remove the tandem pump because of the slot at the end.

Title fixed

·
Registered
68 Posts
I will take the belt off the car,
then unlock the crank and turn IT 90* counter clockwise,
then get ahold of the pulley on the end of the cam, and turn it 90* counter clockwise to make the slot vertical in the tandem pump.

continue removing the cam system, and replacing with new as prescribed (assembly lube etc).

upon reassembly, you then put the new cam in,
snug the bearing caps up as required,
seat the bearings with a dead blow mallet (per Franko6),
then install the hub on the new cam, (counterholding to get the torque correct)
then rotate the cam 90* clockwise to put it back in the normal TDC on #1 location,
then rotate and lock the crank,
and continue reinstalling the timing belt.

one thing to watch out for is getting the #5 cam cap back in absolutely flush with the edge of the head/tandem pump gasket. it WILL leak oil if its not correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts