VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

WHats the best repair manual in your opinion and why?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please vote and provide comments. I'm pretty adept at doing my own service and repairs and will attempt almost anything. Just want to be sure I have the best available manual for the job.

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Well this is a strange one. I've heard of Bentley and seen clips I've never heard of Chilton but if you google it it shows nothing for VW Chilton Workshop/DIY Manuals.

I have an Haynes manual which you can read about here http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/golf-workshop-manual-3393/. I asked why you can't get newer Haynes manuals and they said because you have a 3 year warranty with VW people don't want a workshop manual until the warranty runs out so Haynes may do one for the MK6 Golf in a couple of years time. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Robert Bentley Publications has the official VW repair manuals in print. Many years' models come in either or both paperback and CD/DVD versions. The electronic ones have a rather user-unfriendly copy protection scheme (and as far as I know, will not at this time work with Windows 7 and/or 64 bit operating systems. They have extra features, a not-very-useful search capability, and can be updated (for better or for worse*), but many people prefer the paperback.

*Updates: sometimes things will change from one update to the next, only to be changed back in a subsequent update... I believe updates are "free" for a year after registration.

The Haynes have been found with too many errors and many missed or incomplete procedures.

That said, the most cost effective "repair manual" is an internet connection to this website, the tdi-club, and to vwvortex.

Cheers,

Yuri

PS: the best price for the Bentley appears to be from Amazon, unless you can find a used copy that covers your model year... Again, transferring registration for the electronic versions can be difficult...

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
I've searched Amazon and they do list Bentley manuals but they are asking more for used ones than new and there isn't much new.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
My experience has been with Amazon in the U.S...

Amazon U.K. isn't quite as attractive, cost-wise, but... most things cost much more on that side of the 'pond... My sympathies...

Yuri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts