VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have a 2013 Passat TDI with 19inch rims (factory) and am wondering what the best option for winter tires is for this car.
I'd like to take these off and put a regular steel wheel on - should I go down to 17 or 18 or is there a 19 inch option?
I have no idea...

And, I'm wondering what the quietest ones are as well.

Thanks
A.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got the Michelin X-Ice on my Fusion (tires in storage currently) and the traction is excellent in the winter. But the tires are only rated for 40k miles, I think. No clue about 19" size, though. But, the 18" IS available.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I would suggest going with the smallest rim size available for your car; which I believe is 16". The reasons for that are many, but one of the main ones is cost, for the price of 18" snow tires, you can buy a set of 16" tires and alloy rims, and have money to spare. I run Blizzaks on most of my vehicles, and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would agree with the smallest rim if you have the option. But, my reasoning is because on my Fusion (and I'm guessing the Jetta will have the same problem) the tire design and low profile collects snow to the point of knocking the tires out of balance. I use a snow brush to clean out between the "spokes" to keep the inside of the rims snow free.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I would agree with the smallest rim if you have the option. But, my reasoning is because on my Fusion (and I'm guessing the Jetta will have the same problem) the tire design and low profile collects snow to the point of knocking the tires out of balance. I use a snow brush to clean out between the "spokes" to keep the inside of the rims snow free.
I now only use alloys for winter tires for that very reason as it is darn near impossible to knock out the ice buildup with steel rims; for me at least...
Also, I noticed the OP is in Canada, so I would suggest Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires as they are probably the best available.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I've got the Michelin X-Ice on my Fusion (tires in storage currently) and the traction is excellent in the winter. But the tires are only rated for 40k miles, I think. No clue about 19" size, though. But, the 18" IS available.
I'm not sure about the 19" either -- the biggest stock rims are 18"

I wasn't thinking about living anywhere near snow two years ago when I bought my Passat.

California doesn't legally recognize snow tires (and the first ten miles of most any drive will get me out of the snow). Chains are required, and you can't put standard chains on a Passat with 18" rims -- they don't clear the suspension.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After using using several brands over the years(Blizzak, Ice-x, Firestone, etc), I found the Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires to be the best overall. A bit more expensive than others, but they have worn very well and their increased performance is worth the price IMO.

I would definitely go with 16's. Narrow is always better in snow(on road). I had snows on the 17's and the difference going to 16's was noticeable. The wider the tire, the more apt you will be to hydroplane in slush/etc. I found I spun much worse with the 17's. The 16's get down to pavement better IMO. Plus the lack of sidewall on the larger rims leave little room for potholes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ran Momo Winter Pro 16's with Falken HS449 winter tires. Was very pleased with their performance, price and noise. HS439 is another Falken option. With rebates @ Discounttire.com I paid about $680 all together for all four corners.

During my spring swap
uploadfromtaptalk1414163358681.jpg

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I would suggest going with the smallest rim size available for your car; which I believe is 16". The reasons for that are many, but one of the main ones is cost, for the price of 18" snow tires, you can buy a set of 16" tires and alloy rims, and have money to spare. I run Blizzaks on most of my vehicles, and have been very happy with them.

I second everything said here.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Agree with smallest rim.
My winter tires/ rim set: Cooper Weather Master.
Excellent on snow , not too laud, and relatively cheap. I did not wanted to invest in expensive set since it would be exposed to salt, grime etc.
Had no problem during winter so far, I live on steep hill. My neighbor with his 4x4 suv and all season tires can not make half of that hill when covered with snow while my car climbs up safely :)
I have been in Colorado during heavy snow storm and had no problem at all at highway speeds and back roads driving.

IMG_1762.JPG

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
A noisy tire is the best for traction. More noise better traction, quiet tire not so much traction, (soft rubber for excellent traction).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Basing traction on the noise a tire makes is just ignorant. A cheap snow tire can make noise while a more expensive winter tire could be significantly quieter and yet offer the same or better traction.

I suppose you believe the best exhaust system is the loudest too?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts