VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
What car is this for your profile doesn't say? The frostheater coolant heater is a pretty good one. It uses an electric heater to heat the engine coolant. This way it heats the whole engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a good chance your engine doesn't even have frost plugs. The stick on ones are OK as long has you don't have to actually heat anything - 250 watts max. I put a Frostheater in my '05 Passat. http://www.frostheater.com/

·
Registered
104 Posts
The stick on ones can fall off and cause a fire. The coolant heaters are the best because they give instant or almost instant heat in the winter. VW has an OEM one and frostheater makes aftermartket ones.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Since your profile says looking, I assume you want a new car. I saw a similar post elsewhere for OEM coolant heater with different info, here is some more info:

VW# 1km 198 062 is the OEM retrofit coolant heater kit for manual transmission 2009 Jettas. I assume that it will probably work on 2010 Golfs and Jettas. VW# 1km 198 062 a is the kit for DSG transmission. I am told that they are interchangeable but there may be a small difference in fitment. It appears that the exact part number is a European special order part which costs about $450! An alternative may be the part for older cars 2006 Jetta, VW# Jnv 198 006 a. It's a Calix 550w heater. I don't know if it'll fit the new 2009-2010 TDI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It would take forever for a freezeplug or oil dipstick heater that it would basically do nothing. Frostheater is cheaper but it's bigger and faster but doesn't fit like the OEM does. VW sells a 3 prong outlet that fits into the front grille.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Frost Heater

Just orderd a frost heater from kerma was hoping for some install tips with some pick's would be helpful Thank's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts