VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wimpog,

Some states require posting the cetane rating at the pump. I live in CT which currently doesn't. I'm working with my local State Rep to pass a bill in CT requiring posting the cetane rating as well as regulating the use of the word "premium" as is the case in several states.

We have local stations posting "Premium Diesel" when inquiring with the corporate office, the diesel sold has only a cetane rating of 40 which IMHO is deceptive. In states where the word "premium" is regulated, typically the cetane rating is >/47.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wimpog,

Some states require posting the cetane rating at the pump. I live in CT which currently doesn't. I'm working with my local State Rep to pass a bill in CT requiring posting the cetane rating as well as regulating the use of the word "premium" as is the case in several states.

We have local stations posting "Premium Diesel" when inquiring with the corporate office, the diesel sold has only a cetane rating of 40 which IMHO is deceptive. In states where the word "premium" is regulated, typically the cetane rating is >/47.
I saw no stickers at the Citgo station I fill up my car. I'll ask the cashier next time.
Is there a certain recommended by VW cetane value?
Why is US diesel different than European? Is it cleaner for the environment? I though that's what the DPF was for - to make exhausts cleaner.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I saw no stickers at the Citgo station I fill up my car. I'll ask the cashier next time.
Is there a certain recommended by VW cetane value?
Why is US diesel different than European? Is it cleaner for the environment? I though that's what the DPF was for - to make exhausts cleaner.
There is no recommended cetane by VW.

In Europe, diesel is not necessarily "better" its just more consistent (and contains better lubricating properties). In the US, as sulfur content has been reduced more and more as mandated by federal standards, the need to replace sulfur with another form of lubricity for fuel systems became important. Right now, it is up to the supplier of the diesel to ADD their own lubricity additive. There is no standard for lubricity, other than that the supplier needs to do something to provide for it. This is why most people have come to the conclusion that they should use their own additive to compensate for a POSSIBLE, yet unknown, lack of lubricating properties within the diesel they are buying.

Too many people make the mistake of talking about "quality" of diesel. Diesel is diesel. Yes, the AVERAGE cetane rating may be different, but this is an almost meaningless variable for our cars being that no matter where you go cetane is going to be somewhere between 35 and 55. You'll see average ratings of 40 in most places and premium in some places is 47. Its basically meaningless. Unless you get diesel has an unusually high percentage of water, or other contaminent...its all the same. But standards have been set in those areas to hopefully prevent those kinds of things.

When people talk "quality" many times they are really talking lubricity. Lubricity is important, especially on engines that have a HPFP, like our CR TDIs. Because of the lack of some kind of adequate standard with lubricity in the US (not to mention the lack of disclosure by the suppliers to let the consumer know the minimum lubricity in the fuel they will receive) some diesel will fall short, and cause undue wear on our fuel system (namely the HPFP) and some diesel will carry grossly more lubricating characteristics than we require (which doesn't cause a problem, its just unnecessary).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Generally the higher the cetane rating the better. Typically it's 40 at most filling stations.

In some states "Premium Diesel" must have a minimum cetane rating of 47.

I've called Shell, Mobil, and other companies to inquire about what stations carry diesel with cetane ratings higher than 40. I was told I'd have to call each station to inquire. When asked, very few stations have a clue what I'm talking about.

See toptiergas.com (as referenced in my VW Owner's Manual) for brands that meet strict gasoline requirements (and likely have complete diesel additive packages as well).

Personnally I use Mobil, Exxon, or Shell and add Stanadyne Performance Formula with each fill-up. Unfortunately (true) premium diesel isn't sold in my area; at least not yet until we have more voices asking for it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Personnally I use Mobil, Exxon, or Shell and add Stanadyne Performance Formula with each fill-up. Unfortunately (true) premium diesel isn't sold in my area; at least not yet until we have more voices asking for it.
Doesn't that void your vehicle warranty?

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Fifteen minutes of internet research will indicate what fuel additives are allowable (under warranty) and in what concentrations. Power Service, stanadyne, opti lube, and B100 are all allowed at proper ratios. B5 is the max bio blend covered by the vw warranty. In reality, VW does not know what you put in your tank- and unless it is gasoline or water( or you tell them) they will not know. I use B2 because it ensures lubricity without diluting crankcase oil significantly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fifteen minutes of internet research will indicate what fuel additives are allowable (under warranty) and in what concentrations. Power Service, stanadyne, opti lube, and B100 are all allowed at proper ratios. B5 is the max bio blend covered by the vw warranty. In reality, VW does not know what you put in your tank- and unless it is gasoline or water( or you tell them) they will not know. I use B2 because it ensures lubricity without diluting crankcase oil significantly.
Why don't you post some links here "what fuel additives are allowable (under warranty) and in what concentrations".
In another thread someone also recommended Diesel Kleen from Power Service. Since you mention here 3 more, I wonder which one is the best/most recommended to use.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
when TDIs come into my local dealership with issues diagnosed as "poor fuel quality", they add either stanadyne or optilube (don't recall which one)

Personally, I use PS with each tank on my TDIs

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
call your dealer and see if they carry stanadyne fuel additive...

I agree that VW says don't add anything to the fuel. The primary reason probably is because their lawyers tell them to say that. But it makes sense because at the time of manual printing and while the engine is in its service life, they cannot know or control every additive out there, chemical composition changes, or new additives that will come out. They certainly don't want to be responsible for engine issues caused by fuel/additives that they can't control.

VW does allow up to B5. Many argue, including our fuel pump manufacturer- Bosch- that the diesel fuel in the US does not have enough lubricity and that their fuel pumps that fail are caused by inadequate US fuel lubricity. BD also provides the needed lubricity. Likewise, many people do not put any additives in their fuel and see additives as a waste of money.

Personally, I use PS gray (your link, other auto parts stores, and at most major truck stops) in the summer and PS white (which includes anti-gel properties) in the winter but there are many other additives out there and again some folks use nothing

·
Registered
14 Posts
You mean, the vehicle owners had been adding stanadyne or optilube which caused poor fuel quality in their TDIs?
I think he means the opposite, that is that the dealership adds either stanadyne or optilube.

I personally will use one of these two (when time comes) in addition to using B2 because:
1. Stanadyne (lubricity formula) has been specifically approved in the past by VW for use in another model engine.
2. Opti-lube has been shown to improve performance in at least 2 independent studies that I have seen (Ricer report and Diesel Power mag).
3. Both of these companies show their ingredients in the MSDS (you can find the info on their respective websites and research those ingredients yourself).

Power Service keeps its formula secret
It does not do well in independent studies. Other than the Ricer report (very small improvement in lubricity in that study), I have only seen stuff that PS released from its own labs.
I think the reason most people use it is that they have outstanding customer service and are always quick to answer questions. That does not necessarily mean that the product is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just Google search any of your favorite brand diesel MDS (or MSDS whatever they call it). In part 3 of the MSDS you'll find the composition of that brand fuel.
Don't expect to find big differences between brands but some use kerosine blends and others use diesel fuels blends.
What's the difference? Again Google search it but basically Kerosine is obtained before diesel during the distillation of crude oil.

From what I could find on the web
Example: here in Canada, Petro-Canada diesel is made of minimum 70% Kerosine, Alkanes and fatty acids.
Shell on the other hand is made of minimum 90% diesel fuels and fatty acids.
Then you can ad in any additives the brand decides to blend in depending on grade, region and season.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned my golf wagon TDI for more than a year now and have experienced 3 brands of fuel:
Diesel Depot
Shell V-Power
Petro-Canada

I'm on my first tank of Petro-Canada and I can already tell the difference just by listening to the engine. It's much more quiet. Now don't get me started on performance...the goal is not to transform my car into a rocket. What you want is efficiency with a clean burn and a happy engine/driver.

As a side note, I have been using Opti-Lube summer and winter formulas for 8 months now. Great product!

·
Registered
21 Posts
dervdave yes for anyone who doesn't want to mess around with additives....Shell V-Power is probably the best if you're willing to pay the extra $$.

For me, the mix of V-Power and Opti-Lube just wasn't right as it was delaying the explosion too much probably due to a higher cetane number than needed.

It resulted in a louder engine noise at idle and at constant speed under light load.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts