VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be picking up our VW TDI soon and was wondering which company has the better diesel. We live in Wisconsin. I'm looking for clean and best MPGs.

Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Congrats! My personal feeling on this is to just go with a name brand...Hess, Shell...etc...you really won't notice any improved MPGs from one to another. As for the quality, as I said, if you stick with a name brand and don't fill up right after the truck was there because of the possibility of extra particulate (dirt) making it into your tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're going to love your car. I am in Wisconsin too and received my Golf TDI late last year. I have used fuel from my local Kwik Trip and Shell stations and have seen no difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another "cheeze-head" here. Got my '11 Golf at the end of November last year. After reading several threads on the earlier supposed HPFP problems, I have decided to stick with BP, Shell, Cenex, or Mobil (in that order) wherever possible. My wife's '07 Jeep has a Mercedes 3.0 CR V6 with 60k miles now, and she's been running whatever's cheapest all along with no noticeable problems. I don't know why the HPFPs in our 2.0 CRs should be any pickier than the pump in her car, but...who knows.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Another tip.

If you can find out where the truckers get their fuel go there. They can't afford to get a load of bad fuel so they will only go where they can get good clean fuel. I travel the Interstates a lot so this is easy for me.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Is premium diesel offered in Wisconsin 47(cetane) My car performs better when I use it compared to 40cetane. I have had excellant results using www.stanadyne.com but check your owners manual if it can be used with your vehicle. I work for a large Utility. we have started using Bio, winter and summer blend,causing nothing but problems. It has ruined the tanks in our 450 & 550 fords, constant fuel filter clogging (( costly repairs)) I realize this is touchy subject but I will never use it if I have a choice. One time it gelled in the tanker and could not be unloaded.

I would like to get Chittys opinion on fuel and additives.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I would like to get Chittys opinion on fuel and additives.
I'm not an expert on additives but considering the lower quality and lubricity of fuel in the US, I believe that they are a good idea. Quality biodiesel is good but as you mentioned, it does have a cleaning effect and gel at a higher temp which can cause problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another suggestion is a high volume station to ensure fresh fuel and less chance for error.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is there a specific recommended cetane value for these TDIs? If so, what is it? Once I know it, I can ask at the station I fuel my car up, whether their diesel is of that quality, and if not, I will find another fuel station.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't worry about the cetane rating. This is an average rating anyhow and the number on the pump may be higher or lower than what's going in your car. The minimum in the US is 40. In most areas your going to see 40. If you see higher than 40, great. If you see lower than 40, I'd fuel up somewhere else...

Also, I've discovered that diesel, at least in the US is not necessarily supplied by the name on the gas station. For example. I've discovered that a number of HESS stations don't stock diesel supplied by HESS. They use a different supplier. Therefore, I would just try to stick with a name brand station, so that, if you have a problem it will be easier for you to get them to settle it with you...but don't count on what's coming out of the pump to be what you think it is (other than the fact that its diesel)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unfortunately, it's my experience that almost no diesel pumps have cetane labels so it's hard to know what you're getting. I can count on one hand the number of cetane labels I've seen, and they've all said 40.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't worry about the cetane rating. This is an average rating anyhow and the number on the pump may be higher or lower than what's going in your car. The minimum in the US is 40. In most areas your going to see 40. If you see higher than 40, great. If you see lower than 40, I'd fuel up somewhere else...

Also, I've discovered that diesel, at least in the US is not necessarily supplied by the name on the gas station. For example. I've discovered that a number of HESS stations don't stock diesel supplied by HESS. They use a different supplier. Therefore, I would just try to stick with a name brand station, so that, if you have a problem it will be easier for you to get them to settle it with you...but don't count on what's coming out of the pump to be what you think it is (other than the fact that its diesel)
I fuel up at Citgo, it gets its oil from Venezuela. The station I go to is close to an interstate and trucks stop there all the time, so they must have fresh diesel.
Pride has the cheapest diesel, but I've heard they also buy the cheapest oil, which is perhaps the worst quality.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unfortunately, it's my experience that almost no diesel pumps have cetane labels so it's hard to know what you're getting. I can count on one hand the number of cetane labels I've seen, and they've all said 40.
You can ask the cashier, they should have some documents for the fuel they sell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto that. In my area I've found the same supplier providing diesel to Hess, Shell, and Liberty.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Minimum cetane rating is 40, in my area Bp had premium diesel 47 cetane. which is supposed to have detergents that clean injectors,lubricity additive. I notice a slight power increase but the cost 4.15 gallon vs 3.65 deters me. When it is all said and done, we dont know what we are getting. I add 4 oz of stanadyne and change the filter reguarly. I use to ask gas attendants but they have no idea what your talking about.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Here in northern Virginia, I've yet to see a diesel pump without the cetane and ULSD stickers. Most are the minimum 40 cetane but Shell sells "premium" diesel with a minimum cetane of 45. I've not noticed any difference when using the Shell product.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I live in Canada so this is not for the OP. But where I live there are about a dozen stations that have diesel. Not one has a cetane label.

You can ask the cashier, they should have some documents for the fuel they sell.
Have asked cashiers in a bunch of them. They don't have a clue what I'm asking about. :dunno :panic:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know that biodiesel is a touchy subject with some folks but keep in mind that VW says that anything above B5 will void your warranty.

I look for non-bio in my area and coincidently the closest truck stop (Petro) to my house sells non-bio.

I used to fill my gasser all the time at the BP right across the street from this Petro but their diesel is bio-something-% and there's a sticker on the diesel pumps that states that this diesel is non BP supplied and that BP will not warranty it. I don't know exactly what that means but it can't be good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
see Toptiergas.com

Your VW manual will point you to toptiergas.com which lists approved gasoline brands for VW, BMW, Toyota, Honda, GM, etc. The website does not list approved diesel brands, but I would imagine these brands have complete additive packages for diesel as well.

I also use Stanadyne Performance formula with each fill-up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts