VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion as to which Bentley Manual, (repair or service), is the best for me? I will be doing my own regular maintenance, brakes etc. on my 2009 Jetta Wagon TDI.

Thanks for all of your help,

nsblue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New member and a question

Greetings all from Ottawa Ontario. I have a question as to which Bentley Manual, (repair or service), is the best for me? I will be doing my own regular maintenance, brakes etc. on my 2009 Jetta Wagon TDI.

Thanks for all of your help,

nsblue

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The mk5 manual covers most of the stuff. as far as I know, there's only 1 bentley manual. it does leave some stuff out but it's still better than nothing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Chitty, I see that there is a DVD based repair manual and the printed service manual. It looks like the DVD based manual doesn't work on Windows 7 computers although this is the manual that Ross-Tech recommends be used with their VCDS due to the level of detail.

Since I only have Windows 7 I guess my choice is made for me. I'll go with the Printed Service Manual.

Here is the link to Bentley's discussion of the differences:

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=753692

Thanks,

nsblue

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks skinnyb. Given that there are two varieties of manuals I was curious as to which one was "best". It looks like Bentley has stopped updating the DVD based manuals as they only support Windows XP. I'm sure the paper manual will be more than enough for me. Now I just have to find a DSG filer adapter that I can get shipped to Canada.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks skinnyb. Given that there are two varieties of manuals I was curious as to which one was "best". It looks like Bentley has stopped updating the DVD based manuals as they only support Windows XP. I'm sure the paper manual will be more than enough for me. Now I just have to find a DSG filer adapter that I can get shipped to Canada.
To run the DVD on a Windows 7 PC, one need to set up a virtual machine that runs in Windows XP mode. I have Win 7 Professional and the DVD runs under the virtual XP machine. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

IMHO, the benefit of having a service manual (DVD or paper) is for the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting / testing of components. Virtuall all routine maintenance and repair procedures are well documented on forums such as this one and are usually better than what's in the service manual. For example, one does not need the DSG "filler adapter" to do the DSG maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts