VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still new to the site and trying to find more searching about the Engine Belly Cover / Splash Shield. I don't currently have one on My 2005 tdi. I found this http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=374
and wanted to see what experienced members here think. I also heard there was no need for the rear shield anymore on TDI and that Volkswagen stopped making them. I read the how to section so now I just need to decide. On another note, I did my rear brakes and fuel filter thanks to this sites help. Saved over $300 Thanks.

-Matt

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's not just there as a skid plate. It keeps some dirt and water off the belts which extends their life. If you have road salts and other stuff flying into the engine bay it makes sense that some of it's going to get into the pulleys and other places and cause rust.

The price is a little more than the plastic replacement. You should start doing oil changes from the top because skid plates are best left in place.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
You can still do bottom side oil changes. Even more easy with some of the aftermarket metal skid plates. I still do bottom side so I can look at the CV joints and see if any fluids are leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts