VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

Looking to sell my blue 2005 TDI Passat. I'm the 2nd owner and have been religious about maintenance and repairs since I bought it 3.5 years ago.
Bought the car with 184,000 miles on it, currently has 241,000.

I'm located in the Bay Area and am willing to sell it for a reasonable price to a TDI forum member if it means it'll go to a good home. For MTD members, asking price is $1900.

This car has been serviced exclusively by Fred's Garage in Redwood City during my time of ownership; comes with complete service records. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, details below:

Engine:
Oil changed every 5,000 miles with Liqui-Moly synthetic
Fuel filter changed every 20,000 miles
Air filter changed every 20,000 miles
Oil leak; suspect this is coming from the valve cover gasket
Still gets factory gas mileage, 28 city / 37 hwy.
Coolant flushed and exchanged at 190,000 miles
Motor mounts replaced at 190,000 miles
Timing belt changed at 200,000 miles

Transmission:
PO rebuilt transmission at 13,000 miles in Half Moon Bay. No issues since
ATF replaced at 200,000 miles
Torque converter replaced at 200,000 miles

Drivetrain:
CV boots replaced at 200,000 miles
Car vibrates while idling in drive, but goes away in neutral. This could be because of the front axles, but my mechanics couldn't pinpoint what it is. Willing to negotiate price on this.

Brakes:
Front brakes replaced at 190,000 miles
Brake fluid flushed at 200,000 miles
Comes with new Meyle Platinum rotors, brake pads, and hardware; link below:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/front-rear-brake-service-kit/40454112kt2/

Exterior:
New rear tail lights
New front valence
Windshield + windows in excellent condition
Chrome trim on driver's side needs replacing
Roof paint is in poor condition
Rear bumper has dings + dents, all but one of which I inherited from the previous owner

Interior:
Clean, practically factory-new
Leatherette in perfect condition
Replaced driver's side sun visor

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Hi there,

Looking to sell my blue 2005 TDI Passat. I'm the 2nd owner and have been religious about maintenance and repairs since I bought it 3.5 years ago.
Bought the car with 184,000 miles on it, currently has 241,000.

I'm located in the Bay Area and am willing to sell it for a reasonable price to a TDI forum member if it means it'll go to a good home. For MTD members, asking price is $1900.

This car has been serviced exclusively by Fred's Garage in Redwood City during my time of ownership; comes with complete service records. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, details below:

Engine:
Oil changed every 5,000 miles with Liqui-Moly synthetic
Fuel filter changed every 20,000 miles
Air filter changed every 20,000 miles
Oil leak; suspect this is coming from the valve cover gasket
Still gets factory gas mileage, 28 city / 37 hwy.
Coolant flushed and exchanged at 190,000 miles
Motor mounts replaced at 190,000 miles
Timing belt changed at 200,000 miles

Transmission:
PO rebuilt transmission at 13,000 miles in Half Moon Bay. No issues since
ATF replaced at 200,000 miles
Torque converter replaced at 200,000 miles

Drivetrain:
CV boots replaced at 200,000 miles
Car vibrates while idling in drive, but goes away in neutral. This could be because of the front axles, but my mechanics couldn't pinpoint what it is. Willing to negotiate price on this.

Brakes:
Front brakes replaced at 190,000 miles
Brake fluid flushed at 200,000 miles
Comes with new Meyle Platinum rotors, brake pads, and hardware; link below:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/front-rear-brake-service-kit/40454112kt2/

Exterior:
New rear tail lights
New front valence
Windshield + windows in excellent condition
Chrome trim on driver's side needs replacing
Roof paint is in poor condition
Rear bumper has dings + dents, all but one of which I inherited from the previous owner

Interior:
Clean, practically factory-new
Leatherette in perfect condition
Replaced driver's side sun visor
I am also looking to sell a b5.5 Passat wagon but just a word of advice on the in-gear vibration - it's likely the oil pump chain, which also drives the balance shaft on this engine. Terrible design and can fail in a number of ways (tensioner or chain breaks, or sprocket gets rounded over.)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply!
My younger cousin is interested in buying the Passat as a first car, so I need to diagnose what the cause is before giving her the keys.
The DIY page on here is currently down, and I'm not sure if the Haynes manual has any information on diagnosing the oil pump chain - have you had to replace the sprockets, chain, and tensioner? Any advice or heads up?
I had the impression it was more likely the axle; the DIY page had an article on replacing the axle because it causes a similar issue. The driver's side CV boot had been torn for some time when I first bought the car, so it made sense to be the most likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Yeah both CV boots have given me issues. Not sure on the specifics of the chain because of the wiki, everything I search points there.

From my understanding it’s pretty tough, the pump/balance shaft assembly is the bottom of the engine, and runs off of the crank sprocket, under the timing assembly. I think you can replace the tensioner without it being too bad, but most people recommend a full balance shaft delete. There’s kits for like $70 but you’re basically doing a timing belt job in the process, and maybe removing the oil pan.

Can be very bad, since it’s the oil pump it can quickly kill the engine if it brakes. Usually the tensioner fails and the jolting eventually breaks the chain, or over time the sprocket itself just rounds over.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@latota I'll have to diagnose the source, but I'm thinking it's more likely related to the CV joint or axle.
Looking at diagrams of the 2.0PD TDI, the balance shaft assembly is directly above the oil pan and looks like a nightmare to get to.
Like I said, the CV boot had been torn for quite some time when I first bought the car; the boots are notorious for tearing easily on these cars

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Yes the oil pump/balance shaft job looks like hell on earth, but it is the main cause of the engine being rough and vibrating in the way you described. It's a diesel, but it shouldn't shake like that. From my understanding you engine is toast if the assembly has issues, because oil pressure will drop immediately, and chunks of metal might make their way into the oil system.

Could also check the engine mounts - they're fluid packed on these cars so it's easy to notice they've broken if you're looking for it (red fluid dripping from the engine bay).

The CV boot or axel problems don't cause vibrations like you described, though they have plenty of issues on their own.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the motor mounts replaced at 190k miles, didn't seem to do anything other than affect my wallet ;)
I'll bring it by a local shop and see if they have any insight, I'll keep you posted

1 - 8 of 8 Posts