VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Battery drain

8K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Mac Wrench 
#1 ·
Battery drains overnight, they say it' not the battery. Anybody with any suggestions would be apprecated.

#6 · (Edited)
Some have reported problems with the Monsoon system amp, mine was the radio itself. Not saying this is your problem, but was mine. The best method would be use a DC amp clamp to verify draw. If you do not have one or know how to do it, pull the radio system fuse for a day or two and see if it comes back.

#8 ·
Light on anywhere?

Batteries don't just decide to die (if tested good) one day. Has any prior work been done to it in last couple weeks?

Other reasons:

Bad battery
Wrong battery for TDI
Failed alternator/regulator
Failed relay
Bad ground
Broken ignition
Bad add-on (radio/amp/...)

#9 ·
I have had Camshaft replaced in Jan. Had wiring harness replaced on pass. Door in February. and also front struts . The mech that did harness did a diagnose of battery was weak, found. O.700 amp draw initially which drops to less than 0.050 amps after doors are locked for 10 min. Said this normal. Recomended replacing battery with OEM or Interstate , the existing battery is CTC which is a little under 80amps. Which is not standard equipment for TDI. confused.

#10 ·
A fresh normal battery will last a bit, but will show issues the older it gets. So you need to go get a battery made for your TDI.

As for the draw on unlocked car (TDI): Normal - It powers a bunch of stuff up, to get ready to start.

This is all assuming that your repaired door harness is not shorted anywhere. But I think a new battery would fix you right up (at least it will prevent future issues of that type).

#12 · (Edited)
My draw was 0.68 amps after the computers shut down (or as you put it the doors locked and 10 mins.). With the sound system fuse pulled and time allowed for the computers to shut down again the draw went to 0.016 amps which is normal. To further isolate the component within the sound system, we re-installed the fuse took the time to first disconnect the Sirius box then the car amp each in order and found that the HU (radio) was the culprit. This process took some time as the same computer shut down wait was required with each step, but was effective. With the sound system now isolated and removed from the system (fuse removed) the battery drain has not come back after months, where-as before the car required a jump at minimum every other day, but usually daily. A standard load check can be done to your existing battery to determine it's health and if that is the cause, your done. It was not my problem. My point is these cars have known documented parasitic drain issues that need to be explored before you shot-gun a battery at it. Please see the attached TSB and we wish you luck.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/TSB_27_08_04_Matrix.pdf

#13 ·
#14 ·
In the beginning it was stated the battery was good then the harness installer said otherwise and mention the battery was not standard for this application. Did a quick search for "CTC battery" which had some confusing results...so this does need to clarified.

#15 ·
Canadian Tire Corporation is a big-box store that does not have a retail presence in Texas.

They have their own brands like many other large retailers.

I'm sure Canadian Tire has a suitable battery for a TDI. I'm not sure the battery they sold him is the right battery for a TDI, which needs more cranking power because of higher compression.

#16 ·
Agreed as I purchased and installed the correct battery...and so many others through the years. Thanks for clearing up the CTC thing. Didn't think he was using Lith.

#19 · (Edited)
That has more to do with capability. You can put just about any 12 VDC battery in a car if it fits the whole and terminal configuration. Group 47, 48 or any other will work if the capacity matches or is better...Amp Hours (AH), cranking amps (CA), cold cranking amps (CCA) and reserve capacity (RC) We do not have this info on his installed battery. I think Blythe has things under control. ;)

#21 ·
I will rephrase for your sake. I think Blythe has the information needed to handle things. No confusion here, other than what CTC was...which lwt42 cleared up. I am not sure your motivation here, but if this is just another forum p-ssing contest...o_O:rolleyes:...you win. However, be advised I am a licensed mechanic on much bigger toys and I am very well versed on this subject and vehicle.

#22 ·
Hey guys I have a similar issue as the OP. I have a 2006 Jetta and was having the issue of the battery being drained within 24 hours. A mechanic did some initial testing and said that it may be due to my driver side door wiring harness which has some frayed/broken wires. So I got that replaced but the drain continues. I then realized that when I lock the doors, I noticed that the lights on the door keeps flashing (very obvious at night). So I tried locking the door while I'm inside and I can hear this clicking sound coming from underneath the dashboard. My guess is this is what's causing my battery drain issue. Any ideas as to what it maybe? Thanks in advance.

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.