VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I will rephrase for your sake. I think Blythe has the information needed to handle things. No confusion here, other than what CTC was...which lwt42 cleared up. I am not sure your motivation here, but if this is just another forum p-ssing contest...o_O:rolleyes:...you win. However, be advised I am a licensed mechanic on much bigger toys and I am very well versed on this subject and vehicle.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hey guys I have a similar issue as the OP. I have a 2006 Jetta and was having the issue of the battery being drained within 24 hours. A mechanic did some initial testing and said that it may be due to my driver side door wiring harness which has some frayed/broken wires. So I got that replaced but the drain continues. I then realized that when I lock the doors, I noticed that the lights on the door keeps flashing (very obvious at night). So I tried locking the door while I'm inside and I can hear this clicking sound coming from underneath the dashboard. My guess is this is what's causing my battery drain issue. Any ideas as to what it maybe? Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
My draw was 0.68 amps after the computers shut down (or as you put it the doors locked and 10 mins.). With the sound system fuse pulled and time allowed for the computers to shut down again the draw went to 0.016 amps which is normal. To further isolate the component within the sound system, we re-installed the fuse took the time to first disconnect the Sirius box then the car amp each in order and found that the HU (radio) was the culprit. This process took some time as the same computer shut down wait was required with each step, but was effective. With the sound system now isolated and removed from the system (fuse removed) the battery drain has not come back after months, where-as before the car required a jump at minimum every other day, but usually daily. A standard load check can be done to your existing battery to determine it's health and if that is the cause, your done. It was not my problem. My point is these cars have known documented parasitic drain issues that need to be explored before you shot-gun a battery at it. Please see the attached TSB and we wish you luck.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/TSB_27_08_04_Matrix.pdf
Thanks for that TSB link. I looking at a 2010 sportwagon that drains the battery in 4-5 days. Initial testing on the draw, with battery connected thru Fluke DVOM showed .01-.02 but I didn't wait even 10 minutes.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts