VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Balance shaft install, need advice

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  thesnide1 
#1 ·
I am just about ready to install the pan but I need a little convincing before going further on the 14mm tripple square.

The B5 balance shaft module write-up indicates the 14mm triple square intermediate gear bolt should be torque to 15 ft-lb (20 Nm) + ¼ turn of stretch. At just under an 1/8 turn Im over 50 ft*lbs. It feels real solid. Is this nromal? I am afraid to go further in fear of making $1200 mistake.

Does anyone recall the having same concern?

Any idea what rough torque is at ¼ turn for this bolt?

Thanks

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Background on Balance shaft upgrade

In my case the chain, sprocket & slides did not look bad at 120,000. The chain sound disturbed me and considering the effort needed to inspect the BSM I did it as a preventive measure along with the cam replacement. The floating slide had about 4 to 6 divot like imperfections about 1-3mm spherical. The Sprocket and chain looked very good. The chain sound is gone. The TDI has nice sound now.

For the cam the worst lobe was about .040” shorter than the 3 good ones. The lifter has dished ring developing. VW considers this normal wear because it still runs.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.