VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2001 beetle would not start today using the valet key. The valet key is the only one that has been used since she bought the car about a month ago. She now has only one other key which is the remote type. What would cause the key to fail? Can it be repaired somehow or does she need to get new keys?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's unknown what the problem is without knowing what error code the system is throwing.

Does the remote key work OK? The chip inside the key is virtually failureproof short of being put in a microwave or crushing it with a hammer. Not the remote control chip, the RFID chip. The problem is probably in the instrument cluster, ignition coil, or wiring. If it really is the RFID chip it cannot be repaired. See the mk4 key FAQ for more on how this thing works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The remote type key does work. To the best of my knowledge the key has never met a hammer or a microwave. After reading several posts at this forum I was not sure what would have caused the problem in the first place. Is it possible for the chip to fall out somehow?

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved. I asked my daughter if she had any problems with the key. She told me that the key split open while she was putting it into the ignition. She was able to snap it back together and that is when the problem started. I found the immobilizer chip in the floor mat, put it back into the key and now everything is fine.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
My daughter's 2001 beetle would not start today using the valet key.
I thought the valet key was just a key blade without the remote? ;)

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
They should have a chip in the valet key too.
So it just a normal key that needs programming? So the new US cars have 2 fully functional keys supplied and a valet key? ;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know about the brand new cars but older cars came with 2 remote switchblades and a valet key.

Older Audi even came with an additional wallet key - I don't know if it had a chip but it was just a black plastic key, just the blade, with a 1cm flat handle.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Cheers for the info.

Its just a simple flat blade that I want. I've said before I can get a blank key cut of my key £15 but they are just as big as the original key I don't want 2 big keys in my pocket. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can I clarify my understanding of this one guys? Is it correct that the normal switchblade remote has 3 elements -

1. A radio remote control device to the operate the doors, boot/trunk, etc
2. A mechanical key (ie. the switchblade), and
3. An RFID chip that communicates with the vehicle immobiliser

The valet key just has elements 2 & 3. Can someone confirm please:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts