VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 golf tdi had the check engine light come on yesterday. I took it straight to the dealer to have it scanned. They told me it had a bad egt (Exhaust Gas Temp.) sensor. Has anyone had their egt sensor go bad? My car only has 8,000 miles. Could it be the diesel I'm using?

Thanks
Mattia

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
What type of fuel are you using?
I really do not think fuel use would be an issue. The EGT sensor just failed, it is electronic these things just fail. Some sensors will last millions of miles and others will not work right out of the box. There is usually a B10 life assign to everything designed that is used. This means 10% of the components will fail before they reach the design life of the component.
Jim W.

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
Sorry Mattia I've never had any warning light flash up 11,500 miles (apart from low tyre pressure). As Jim says components can go faulty its lucky it happened while your under warranty.

I wouldn't have thought that the type of diesel you use as any effect on it providing its regular pump fuel. Obviously the dealer hasn't says change your fuel type.

With the MIL light on did it still drive normally or did it go into limp home mode?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here in Washington state all diesel contains at least 5% bio. I must have had one of the bad sensors you mentioned Jim.

The car had the same power after the MIL came on. It drove as if nothing was wrong.

Mattia

·
Banned
7 Posts
Hi,

I'm in the process of changing my EGT sensor (G235) @ 121k km. Allways used the 'best' diesel available in our country, so I guess its highly unlikely that it is fuel related. Pretty expensive sensor!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I realise this thread is pretty old, but I had the EGT sensor fail @ 230kkm (VCDS reports Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235) P0544 - 000 - Circuit Malfunction). Decided to give it a go, after all, how hard can it be! Well it turns out its pretty easy. Put car on stands, removed stone guard, removed plastic guard over RHS drive shaft and could reach sensor with spanner. Only issue I had was that I didn't take notice/photo of how far the sensor was threaded in, so was not sure that new sensor was properly seated. Without this issue it should have been done in less than an hour. So at least on RHD CBAB engines its a pretty easy DIY job. Oh, there is no way to get torque wrench in, so did it as tight as I could in the limited space. Cleared faults, took it for a spin, logging temperatures, and everything seems to be good.

·
Super Moderator
8,978 Posts
VAG Error Code: 16928/8621/5260/001348

EOBD II Error Code: P0544

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235), Bank 1 - Circuit Malfunction

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235).
Engine Control Module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check/Replace Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensor 1 (G235), Bank 1.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

1 - 7 of 7 Posts