VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I smell a factory recall to update software on all 2010 Clean Diesel VW and Audi's... On my 20 Golf TDI, the EGR valve has gone out twice now. Once at 900 miles and again at just under 2k. Both times, the car simply lost power driving down the road at about 45mph. When the fault occurs, the coil light on the dash flashes constantly. Turning off car would reset the issue and restore power. There are potentially huge safety issues when losing half the available power when you need it most (pulling out into traffic, crossing a busy intersection, etc).

There were no codes to pull when using an OBDII code reader. The first time it went out, VW replaced the EGR valve. The second time, last week, they kept the car and gave us a rental. The story now is that all clean diesel VW and Audi need a software update that is not due out till June. Nice. So VW offered to pay my car note till we get the Golf back and I am in a Nissan rental untill further notice. I asked if I could get a VW loaner and was told no. VW rental? Nope, local rental companies dont carry VW's.

Anyone else encounter this on the new TDI?

D

·
0 Posts
That's weird, how do they know it was the EGR if there were no codes? It sounds more like a limp mode issue since turning off the car resets it. Read all about it in the limp mode FAQ.

The dealer said it needed a software update?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unless they said there was a recall now, don't count on it. The messed up glow plug hard start problem caused by the first recall should have had a recall but it didn't. Now the problem went away because it's warm enough to start fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's weird, how do they know it was the EGR if there were no codes? It sounds more like a limp mode issue since turning off the car resets it. Read all about it in the limp mode FAQ.

The dealer said it needed a software update?
I have 2 older TDI's that went into limp mode in the past but they gave prominent OBDII codes related to whats wrong. The Golf came up squeaky clean with a green light for no stored fault codes. Odd yes. Initially, the dealership just replaced the EGR since that was what the problem indicated. Now "Mother VW" says its a software issue that is being seen on all new clean diesels accross the country and that it will not be resolved until June at the earliest.

On OBDII, the scanner I have is a better one but nothing like what the dealership has. There can be over 300 different things to sense and I bet the dealership is better equipped to sense more than the scanner I bought at the local parts store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
limpin' to 45mph I-40ty

Hey,
Our new 2010 A3 TDI just did the same thing to my wife.
Had two other persons in the car, slowed to merge into off ramp traffic gassed it and all she got was 45 at best and slowing. The car just turned 800 miles and is on it's second tank of gas from two different locations. I installed a diesel K & N air filter when new and she's out checking that it's still hooked up right ( she's out of town on a trip which is why we got her a dependable car!!!). It did exactly, with a load, on a ramp, up a hill, oh! sh-t I got no power thing with warning lights!! Frank

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I am not a fan of K&N air filters because the TDI's air filter is the same unit as the more powerful gasoline 2.0L. There is more than enough excess capacity for power. A looser air filter can also let in more dirt and VW mass air flow sensors, MAF, have been very sensitive to contamination in the past. Some cars would go through 2-3 MAFs in their lifetime.

Was power OK after turning the car off and back on? Persistent low power is often caused by fueling or air issues, and a bad MAF can cause misreading of the amount of air. If you have a VCDS tool, use it to log air flow readings at the MAF. If it's bad, put the original air filter back and go back to the dealer and plead ignorance but "nudge" them in the correct direction. If it's not bad, see what codes you have.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree, ditch the K&N. There's not a lot to get mixed up when hooking up the air filter. If there are any codes it should hint at why the car went into limp mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same thing happened to me just a few days ago.

I have a 2010 Golf TDI with about 1020 miles. Driving on the highway, I heard a chime and the little display between the speedo read "Service Engine Now!" and the car lost power, I was only able to maintain 63 mph. The glow plug coil light started flashing.

I've had this car only two weeks, and my wife and I sure were nervous--I had no idea if this car was going to kaput right there on the highway. Fortunately, our exit was soon, and at that red light I restarted the car-- all fine after that.

I'm taking it in tomorrow. But it's really disappointing. Limp-home mode, while protective, is really dangerous if you're on the highway and need speed/power just to drive safely.

I'll update here what the dealer tells me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I had my Golf TDI checked out this morning at the dealership. I didn't catch all of the diagnosis, but it was something to do with the EGR valve. My restarting of the car reset and cleared the code, so there was nothing really "showing" on the diagnostic.

Later that day, the dealer service guy discussed it with a VW engineer/tech who was at the dealership for an unrelated other car issue. When mentioned to him, the tech acknowledged that my issue was known, and a reflash would be sent to dealers "soon" (I have read on other boards that maybe June would be the timing). It was a known software issue that the reflash should fix.

We'll see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just FYI, here's what my dealer service department noted on my work order:

"Fault for EGR Vacuum Regulator. Performed diagnostics and all systems check good at this time. Road tested. Per VW, a reflash will be coming out soon to resolve this issue. Will contact customer when reflash is available to perform."

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Not sure the cause of power loss but many people have complained of an engine stutter or hesitation that appears to be linked to the EGR and often appears when cresting over a hill. It's possible this may be related but I dunno.
Just FYI, here's what my dealer service department noted on my work order:

"Fault for EGR Vacuum Regulator. Performed diagnostics and all systems check good at this time. Road tested. Per VW, a reflash will be coming out soon to resolve this issue. Will contact customer when reflash is available to perform."
Interesting that they put that on your work order. I guess they expect it soon. I'm still waiting on the botched glow plug recall reflash for the pumpe duse engines from last fall. It basically caused the glow plugs to barely work in the winter and many cars wouldn't or barely started. Hopefully they will be more responsive to owners of the newer cars.

Also, grom what I've read the most recent flash is related to changing the sensitivity of the rear O2 sensor. This guy heard it from the dealer so who knows the accuracy of this statement.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
i got the software update yesterday, when they did the driver side duct work. i was told the software update came out last week. also, ot, the paint on my roof is starting to bubble, have an appointment on july 6th for them to take it to the body shop to repaint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have experienced the stutter about three times.

It didn't happen when I crested a hill, just normal acceleration, pulling away from a red light, for example. Each time, I noticed my speed was 39 mph and I had just shifted into third gear.

Not concerning, just annoying when it happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer apparently just received the latest reflash today. I've got an appointment to update my car next Monday. They said they've been updating their cars on the lot and it takes no more than 1 hour.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My dealer apparently just received the latest reflash today. I've got an appointment to update my car next Monday. They said they've been updating their cars on the lot and it takes no more than 1 hour.
I'm guessing that new models rolling off the assembly line should have the new software installed from birth?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do they do it if you just ask, or do you have to throw a code? Mine has a really rough idle when I first start it up, which goes away after the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took mine if for service this morning to address the MIL and as soon as the service writer called up the VIN #, there was an advisory to update the software and check O2 sensor! Seems that you won't have to ask, the software will be updated when you go in for service. Your experience may differ!

Although mine has had the light on for about 800 miles, the car ran perfectly and had no rough idle, so your problem may not be related to the reflash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My turn.

The coal light flashed 3 days after I took the car home (300 Mi). I turned off the car to look it up and when I turned on the car I had no problem.

2 weeks later (today)(2500 mi), I went to go back out of the garage this morning it came on and it hasn't gone away. Getting the car towed today to the dealership.

Let's see what they say.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got my reflash this morning. FYI, here's what the work order stated:

-UPDATED SOFTWARE FOR OXYGEN SENSORS PER CAMPAIGN. RETESTED OK.
REFLASH/UPDATE FOR O-2 SENSOR

1 - 20 of 51 Posts