VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the ranks of the "low maintenance" VW owners in 2006 with my Jetta. Not so for my TDI, even though I follow the maintenance schedule, the bad design of the camshaft is looking really expensive. I would like to read the post on how to change it and all the associated parts. I replaced the heat exchanger in the exhaust, the mass air flow sensor, the small cooling fan, etc., etc. I think my car was produced on lemon day. I just replaced the timing belt, I wish I would have known about the lifter problem or at least that my mechanic would have known about it. It would have saved some money. I believe most of these other problems were caused by the bad cam causing carbon buildup and soot. It looks like the cam is a poor design. The ramp is a little to steep, the width is definitely too narrow to have long life, the cam followers are too weak to take the pounding of a deformed cam, and last but not least is the fact that VW's quality control is terrible. The reason I say this is that only certain lobes are worn. This seems to be a clear pattern. This is either due to the lifters having quality problems or due to what I believe is bad quality control in heat treat for the cam shaft before final grind. The cam lobes are supposed to be case hardened probably about .030 to .060 inches deep to a specified Rockwell c hardness on all of the cam lobes. From the looks of the wear this is not happening consistently, especially at the peak where the pressure is the greatest on the oil film barrier that is practically non existent due to the lack of width of the cam lobe. I haven't looked at my cam followers too closely yet, but I am willing to bet they are the chrome style instead of the carbo nitride hardened ones. And to think I bought my Jetta in January 2006 thinking I was going to have fantastic mileage and low maintenance for 250,000 miles. Man, has my bubble been burst. Now I am just trying to get out alive at the lowest cost to repair so I can, yes, trade it for something better with a clear conscience. Besides with the high cost of diesel fuel in relation to unleaded, the savings over a good gas engine is negligible. Toyota Avalon with $2.54 unleaded at 30 mpg vs Jetta with $3.00 diesel at 37 mpg yields 8.5 cents vs 8.1 cents per mile. Add the $3,000 dollar repair bill divided by 106,000 miles for the Jetta and the diesel cost per mile comes to 10.9 cents per mile. Jetta loses by $2,544. I also miss the old days of not having to change the timing belt. Who says belts are better than gears when you have to change a belt every 80,000 to 100,000 miles at $800 to $1,000 or more a pop for the average driver who can't change their own. Enough whining, I guess I need to get some cheese to go with it. This is a great site with a lot of good information including where to get OEM parts for the repairs and also a place to rent specialty tools. Thanks for everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
newbie here, like the site, dipstick

I have had 6 diesels and using 4 now

duramax and an BRM TDI.

On these cams.
Has anyone noticed that there is a whole page in the service manual on dipsticks? And if you have the right one.

I did not have the right one. I was always 1.5 qrts low. That could be more wear if the oil is fatigued.

I am getting ready for the tb change on the TDI.

later

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 jetta tdi nightmare

Hi everyone, well first time on this site just looking for answers. Got a final answer from VW Canada today they are not prepared to help the wife and I at ALL! Bought this used Jetta in 08, approx. 17,000K's
Great car, fun to drive, wonderful hiway commutor, wife put on 200 k's/day back and forth to work just the kind of car we needed. We are now sitting at 145,000k's and the story goes something like this we need a complete new head installed about $8,000.00 CAD. seems the cam shaft is wearing on certain lobes and you know one thing leads to another. Just before that 132,000k's we had to replace a mechratonic unit in the the tranny (sorry about the spelling) those of you in the know will know what I'm talking about, that was $3,100.00 CAD, we just did the timing belt and water pump at 122,000k's and that was $1,200.00 CAD. Hell where does it end and I thought we had a sweet "das auto" now I think I might have lemon friday........... Any one else have these kinds of issues with the 06 I sure could use some back up here, if so did you get any help from VW Canada or VW USA? I know there are issues out there with other people so let me know you did get satisfaction out of the big company.......I know we are off warranty at 100,000 k's but you would think that they might back up their product..........and I know they know they have problems, they just won't acknowledge it.

Thanks guys and gals, any help would be appreacticated..........

HARDASS

·
Registered
371 Posts
Take them to small claims. If they have a defense like the wrong oil was used they could have a case. And you won't have a chance without a lawyer. In the end, it's cheaper to let it go.

Who said you need a new head? If the camshaft is worn you replace the cams, lifters, and bearings. If it's really bad you have it machined. It sounds like the dealer is taking you for a ride.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OP it seems like avalon doesn't need t. belt replacement, and if you paying 1000$ for tdi belt replacement then avalon will cost you much more then that, because tdi's got one of the simplest replacement procedures. There are lots of modern cars with timing chains, if its a such a big deal, Maxima for example. And you bought vw for low maintenance and reliability, where did you see such a thing as a german vehicle and reliability, it just doesn't go together, you didnt do you home work well before you bought you car. i feel sorry for you, but your car is not a lemon, its how it is, its normal. get rid of this POS and get something that you going to respect even if its going to have some problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone noticed that there is a whole page in the service manual on dipsticks? And if you have the right one.

I did not have the right one. I was always 1.5 qrts low. That could be more wear if the oil is fatigued.
Where did you find this info? I did a search and looked in the manual and came up empty handed. What is the right one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Engine Noise After Timing Belt Replacement--2006 Jetta BRM

Ok, so I just completed the timing belt replacement on the 06 Jetta I recently purchased. The job took me less than half a day, all thanks to the great instructions posted on this site--THANKS!

I think I did everything perfectly (car runs great), BUT I noticed that the engine is now a bit lowder; the same noice shown by some videos on this site with bad camshafts.

While chaing the timing belt, I looked at the camshaft and there's definitely plenty of wear on some of the lobes. However, the car was not as noisy before the belt replacement as it is now (not a lot worse but noticeable). Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm itching to replace the camshaft but i hope i can get some opinions. The chanfer on some of the lobes is completely gone, but didn't get a good look at the lifters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, i meant to create a new post but instead i posted a reply. I'm struggling to figure out how to create new posts. i know, sounds ignorant but can't figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine in for an oil change the other day. I noticed I have a bit of a rough idle when I get in off of the highway & so I asked them to check it out. I didn't think it was that serious because it doesn't do it all of the time & I am still getting over 50 mpg. Anyways they told me I would need to replace my cylinder head because two of the lobes on my camshaft are worn. The total estimate came out to $8300 & change. I love this car but there is No Way I am spending that much to get it fixed. I took it too another shop that works primarily on VW's & Audi's & they said that only once did they have to replace the cylinder head when they were replacing the camshaft. I am taking it in to them on Friday for another diagnosis. They figure possibly $3000 for the camshaft without cylinder head. Pretty sad that I am hoping its only going to cost 3G to have my car fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
www.kermatdi.com is a great site. You can get a stage 1 cam that will outlast your car's body for 1/3 of what VW wants to charge you. The labor hours given for changing the cam are 7.3 and its very unlikely that you need a new head... unless your lifter was entirely worn through. I'm doing my cam this weekend with the help of rented parts from this site. good luck!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had mine in for an oil change the other day. I noticed I have a bit of a rough idle when I get in off of the highway & so I asked them to check it out. I didn't think it was that serious because it doesn't do it all of the time & I am still getting over 50 mpg. Anyways they told me I would need to replace my cylinder head because two of the lobes on my camshaft are worn. The total estimate came out to $8300 & change. I love this car but there is No Way I am spending that much to get it fixed. I took it too another shop that works primarily on VW's & Audi's & they said that only once did they have to replace the cylinder head when they were replacing the camshaft. I am taking it in to them on Friday for another diagnosis. They figure possibly $3000 for the camshaft without cylinder head. Pretty sad that I am hoping its only going to cost 3G to have my car fixed.
You need to get away from that place and find a mechanic on the trusted tdi mechanic list, that job should not cost anywhere near that much. Run don't walk away from them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was quoted the same $3000 to replace my camshaft. Joined this site so that I could do it myself and save some money. I've done some engine work when I was younger and luckly I have some friends who can provide me with some advice. I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I joined the ranks of the "low maintenance" VW owners in 2006 with my Jetta. Not so for my TDI, even though I follow the maintenance schedule, the bad design of the camshaft is looking really expensive. I would like to read the post on how to change it and all the associated parts. I replaced the heat exchanger in the exhaust, the mass air flow sensor, the small cooling fan, etc., etc. I think my car was produced on lemon day. I just replaced the timing belt, I wish I would have known about the lifter problem or at least that my mechanic would have known about it. It would have saved some money. I believe most of these other problems were caused by the bad cam causing carbon buildup and soot. It looks like the cam is a poor design. The ramp is a little to steep, the width is definitely too narrow to have long life, the cam followers are too weak to take the pounding of a deformed cam, and last but not least is the fact that VW's quality control is terrible. The reason I say this is that only certain lobes are worn. This seems to be a clear pattern. This is either due to the lifters having quality problems or due to what I believe is bad quality control in heat treat for the cam shaft before final grind. The cam lobes are supposed to be case hardened probably about .030 to .060 inches deep to a specified Rockwell c hardness on all of the cam lobes. From the looks of the wear this is not happening consistently, especially at the peak where the pressure is the greatest on the oil film barrier that is practically non existent due to the lack of width of the cam lobe. I haven't looked at my cam followers too closely yet, but I am willing to bet they are the chrome style instead of the carbo nitride hardened ones. And to think I bought my Jetta in January 2006 thinking I was going to have fantastic mileage and low maintenance for 250,000 miles. Man, has my bubble been burst. Now I am just trying to get out alive at the lowest cost to repair so I can, yes, trade it for something better with a clear conscience. Besides with the high cost of diesel fuel in relation to unleaded, the savings over a good gas engine is negligible. Toyota Avalon with $2.54 unleaded at 30 mpg vs Jetta with $3.00 diesel at 37 mpg yields 8.5 cents vs 8.1 cents per mile. Add the $3,000 dollar repair bill divided by 106,000 miles for the Jetta and the diesel cost per mile comes to 10.9 cents per mile. Jetta loses by $2,544. I also miss the old days of not having to change the timing belt. Who says belts are better than gears when you have to change a belt every 80,000 to 100,000 miles at $800 to $1,000 or more a pop for the average driver who can't change their own. Enough whining, I guess I need to get some cheese to go with it. This is a great site with a lot of good information including where to get OEM parts for the repairs and also a place to rent specialty tools. Thanks for everything.

Yes I have been working on VW for 35 years and they do suck. But If you do the work yourself they can save you tons of money on fuel. They have had engineering flaws since before I can remember. Stupid VW issues and many Whaaaaats. But until the chevy cruze eco diesel came out there just isnt anything like vw diesel. So until some other car company takes on the challenge we are stuck with POS BS.

In the same tone I have to say there are many good things as well. Driving the same car I was going up the 5 freeway grape vine with the cruise on at 76 mph. At the top of the mountain one of the small coolant hoses let go. Still maintaining 76 mph and out of coolant the engine temp maintained 190 for 2 miles until I stopped at the next rest area. Never overheating I just filled it up with the bottled water in my trunk and left the radiator cap loose. Drove it 150 miles just stopping when the low coolant light came on. Never overheated. I just have to say how can somebody with that greatly engineered for efficiency and heat, Miss the camshaft issue. I ran pentosin since new, changed oil in factory intervals, did everything by the book and cam still failed at 190k miles. And no my dipstick was correct. I checked the amount of liters required to fill the engine and it was right every time. Never ran low. Just a pure VW FAIL. My ford focus has 190k miles still passes smog with all 0 emissions. Running castrol regular non synthetic motor oil.

I think the camshaft issue is a failure for VW to require additional ZDDP (zink additive) in their oil specification. I am going to try adding ZDDP. But my real thought if they went this far in their specs Why didnt they use a roller cam? I would have included that at a small additional cost in production and it would have been a much better model.

This is what I have found about VW. They are a great chooser of marketing but a not so great car company. If you watch their commercials they are really appealing all the way back to the 50s. But their cars suck. I sold every VW part I had a few years ago and put my middle finger up at them. But when the oil prices ran up I just reluctantly came back to the alter and got the Jetta because it was the best choice at the time. If I were purchasing new I would consider the Cruze Eco Diesel. Because it is partial design by Isuzu from what I have read and again Put my middle finger up and part friends. HA HA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts