VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anything been done to help with the back of the JSW from getting filthy, just driving down the road?

I do not have mud flaps on the car and heard that might help a little but just driving down the road 2 miles and the back window gets pretty dirty pretty fast. I know it is because of the dead air space floating around there. Didn't know if there was some type of wind deflector that could go on the top of the roof, better then what VW has too offer.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

This is a common question asked on Golf forums. I've always have mud flaps on so I can't tell its better with or without but I'm sure it must help. My rear screen is aways dirty I've never used the rear wash/wipe so much on any car I've had.

This is the same in summer when its dry so it must be the rear spoiler creates a vacuum at the rear. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found my rear screen getting too dirty too quickly so I invested in a set of flaps, waste of money, it's just as bad with the flaps!

A poor design somewhere along the line.

However, I think the vehicle looks better with the flaps, just my opinion though. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
any car with a sharp drop off in its design (Hatches, wagons, SUV's, vans, etc) will have dirty rear windows, nothing can be done about it because its how the aerodynamics of the car work. Thats why all of these cars have rear wipers whereas sedans do not. Not much you can do except get use to it :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
waste of money, it's just as bad with the flaps!
Good to know, I was thinking about getting flaps if it helped. Yeah this is a real annoying problem. It would be nice to see a remedy. I'm not sure if the dirt just comes up from underneath the back of the car, or if it whofts out of the rear wheel wells. Its definitely an annoyance though. I think its partially because the rear bumper is so low profile. Maybe if it stuck out more it wouldn't get so dirty. Of course then the car wouldnt look as good!

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Thats why all of these cars have rear wipers whereas sedans do not. :)
I wouldn't say thats the main reason for fitting rear wash/wipers my last car was an hatch and I hardly used the rear wash/wipe.

If you keep your cars for a long time then its worth fitting mud flaps because the main reason for me is saving the sills from getting shot blasted with grit/stones of the road. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
And I thought I was the only one with a filthy rear end! I was thinking about mudflaps to see if it would help, but looks like it doesn't.

Mudflaps don't even help for the side of the car??

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Well if you've read whats been said then you will see that I can't say its better or worst as I've always had them. I'm not taking them off for a month to see it gets worse. They obviously do protect the sills from getting shot blasted with grit/stones of the road.

The choice is yours pekosROB? ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well if you've read whats been said then you will see that I can't say its better or worst as I've always had them. I'm not taking them off for a month to see it gets worse. They obviously do protect the sills from getting shot blasted with grit/stones of the road.

The choice is yours pekosROB? ;)
It depends if I end up buying another gun with my tax refund! :)

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
This thread reminds me of an old VW commercial. A beetle was sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire. The caption said "Nobody's perfect". If my worst complaint can be fixed by washing the window, I am going to love this car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
........ And the quest for a clear rear window goes on. I found Rain-X applied to the rear window helps reduce the film/dirt a bit but not the cure all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at upgrading my old Golf to a lovely new one and saw the mud flaps are an optional extra. From the pics of them I've seen on here fitted they look pretty near to the ground. Do they scrape when going over the countless speed humps and the like?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts