VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, New here
Just bought an old girl with a bad driver front and rear door handle.

So I went on eBay and got a set of 4 from polcar.com, 2 front and 2 rear with central lock system.

They arrive and I notice right away the arms are angled wrong on the fronts, and the arm and plastic contact is completely different on the rears. The arm is shorter and angles off at 90deg. The rear has a plastic adjuster screw in place of the regular latch contact. The seller swears up and down these are for a B4 1993-1996(and 97 north america)
I went to the polcar site and cross referenced the parts they gave me with the ones on the site. Yep says for a B4 and the photos match the part. However. IDparts. ECS, and numerous other photos I've found of B4 handles depict handles exactly like mine.
To further complicate, polcar.com shows a B3 handle(squarer version) with the same arm contact and plastic as mine. But my handles are rounded B4 handles.
I tried both front and rear handles on my car, the fronts barely work to open the door, and the lock mech. doesn't work at all.
The rears don't work at all for either operation.
What the heck is going on here? Did the Euro market get slightly different door mechanisms?
Some pics for comparison. The ones with gold colored metal are the aftermarket ones. The old looking ones are mine.
Rears
uploadfromtaptalk1409199782185.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409199895839.jpg

Fronts
uploadfromtaptalk1409199799001.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409199844395.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409199869970.jpg

Anyone have any insight?

Cheers

PS. Bought a real handle from the dealer at $130 Can. Fixed the roll pin on the rear one and it works perfect.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The door handle presses on a lever. As long as it presses on the lever, it'll work fine. You may be able to adjust the contact area slightly using the adjustment.

If you install one, does it work OK?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front one slips off the door latch tab and sticks and the rear one makes no contact at all since the lengths and arms are completely different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a stripped out screw on the rear passenger exterior door handle =, i was able to get it out but i cannot locate a new screw for it. does anyone know the size of the screw that holds the door handle in place?

·
Super Moderator
9,323 Posts
I had a stripped out screw on the rear passenger exterior door handle =, i was able to get it out but i cannot locate a new screw for it. does anyone know the size of the screw that holds the door handle in place?
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts