VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... if I want a Golf TDI in a specific configuration (4dr, DSG, Xenon, Airbags, Bluetooth) by June, when do I need to order? In the past I have always placed a factory order and waited for my car, but I don;t think VW operates that way. Here's what my dealer rep has to suggest:

"Currently, in Maryland, there are no 4dr TDI Golfs in MD, D.C, VA, PA, or DE. Thats automatic and manual transmissions. I know because I searched yesterday for a customer. The only ones that are in the pipeline, are those that are pre-sold orders. I can assure you it will only get worse until the US shows a significant increase in interest in TDIs. VW allocates most of the diesel allocation for overseas. One year later, we (the US) are struggling to get TDI 'Wagens. We can put an order in for the Golf, and it would take about 4 months for it to touchdown here."

True that? What recommend ye?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Somewhat true.

I believe that they are telling the truth on current limited supply BUT VW has increased TDI production for North America. This will increase allocations per dealer by 2-300%. But that really just means the average dealer will get 3-4 cars a month. Some dealers have large allocations, some have small allocations so it really depends on the dealer. It will also take some time for the increased production to trickle down to dealers. The salespeople may not be aware of this or they're just trying to pressure the customer. Either way, don't get bullied and "I can assure you it will only get worse" means buy right now because I want you to pay. Right now, 3 months to get an ordered car seems reasonable. In 3 months that might be 1 month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chitty, do you know anything about out of state orders. Lets say i search around and find the car i want in TX but i'm in CA, can i buy it TX and drive or it shipped to CA? Or will a local dealer work a deal out with an out of state dealer? I've seen local dealers swap with each other to make a sale (that's how i got my current car in the color/packaging i wanted) but don't know if they do that for out of state situations.

Also when you order a car I assume you can negotiate the price as any other transaction, or is there a set price. Around here (east San Francisco Bay area) these cars tend to have a $3,000 markup on MSRP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMHO, both will work. $3,000 markup on MSRP is BS but if you walked in and told them you'll pay $1500 over MSRP on a car in stock I'll bet they would sell it to you. I would never pay over MSRP. These aren't Ferraris.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The more people pay over MSRP the more the dealers will continue to charge over MSRP. Simple supply-demand. Invoice is a good target to shoot for once the supply eases up.

rookie said:
You will probably have trouble finding what you want unless you put down money. Once the dealers see $$$ they'll make it easy for you to pay them and get the car. Shop around because a car is a commodity. I don't care how much the salesman or dealer makes because you should do all the work finding the car you want. Call every dealer within a 150 mile radius and tell them this is what I want and this is how much I want to pay. If they can't make money on it they won't agree. If they can make it happen they deserve your business.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2028

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm sure the dealer will swap an out of state car to make the sale. You can negotiate the sale so that it's $x over invoice, $x under MSRP, with delivery, dealer prep fee included, etc. You could structure it any way that you can negotiate it.

I would definitely not pay $3-5k MSRP, and I'm sure the reason the dealers do that is to get you to think that paying $1,000 over MSRP is a good deal. Overshoot the price so that when you settle you feel you got a deal.

In addition to what rookie said, you can also use costco's auto buying service, american express, or zag.com's auto buying service. You work out the price before you walk in and that is the price you pay. You won't get the best deal possible but they don't work on cars that are harder to find like these.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been to two seperate VW dealers in Seattle. both appear to claim that they have no idea when VW of Germany will accept new order requests, but after they do accept an order, then the expected turn around time to the dealership would be 16-21 weeks. One dealership asks for a $1000 deposit at the time Germany accepts the order and the other asks for $500.

What is your recommendations on the final out the door price of the car when it arrives? At this point, the dealership has taken my order request, pending Germany's accepting it, but we (the dealership and me) have no written agreement on the price, only the salesman's chickenscratch notes on what options I want where the total came up to $26K. They claim it will be the MSRP price, but do you think they may surprise me with a $1000 or $2000 second sticker add-on when it arrives? At this point, I'm expecting to pay MSRP when it arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been to two seperate VW dealers in Seattle. both appear to claim that they have no idea when VW of Germany will accept new order requests, but after they do accept an order, then the expected turn around time to the dealership would be 16-21 weeks. One dealership asks for a $1000 deposit at the time Germany accepts the order and the other asks for $500.

What is your recommendations on the final out the door price of the car when it arrives? At this point, the dealership has taken my order request, pending Germany's accepting it, but we (the dealership and me) have no written agreement on the price, only the salesman's chickenscratch notes on what options I want where the total came up to $26K. They claim it will be the MSRP price, but do you think they may surprise me with a $1000 or $2000 second sticker add-on when it arrives? At this point, I'm expecting to pay MSRP when it arrives.
Wow, that deal is fraught with assumptions that need to be gone over with the salesman and the GSM. Get the Comm number to confirm the order has been submitted to VW. It is possible for the order to wait in the Order Bank IS for a long time until accepted by VW for production. That is why the dealership is waiting for the deposit until then. The price that the salesman noted may still be good when the car arrives, but we prefer to reference MSRP or Invoice as VW sometimes changes prices between the time of order and delivery. Good Luck. my two cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts