VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading the Jetta overview on this site, they stated that the Jetta has an auxillary air heater as part of the climate control system.

I looked in the manual for our Sportwagen, and I don't see this listed. Nor do I see it listed on our spec sheet.

Is this something that is standard as part of Climatic, or is it not available in the Sportwagen.

Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I would be surprised if you do not have the aux heater.
Try this, when your engine is cold, start car and turn on the heat.
If you get nice warm air blowing before your engine temperature rises, you have the aux heater. Its like a built-in hair dryer element.

Anyone else have thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
If your TDI didn't have it, it would be a factory mistake. It's on TDI only and has never been listed.

In Canada, they list a block heater as standard equipment and it's a coolant block heater that uses an electric plug adapter.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Does the Golf TDI have one of those as well or just the Jetta?

Edit: looks like yes. That is awesome, was worried about in the winters. Didn't think that was in the writeup the last time I looked. There was a lot of new info actually.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I'm constantly adding info to improve the articles (and fix the badder grammers) and working on the website in general. Thanks for noticing!

One example of a recent addition:
The early mk5 Jetta had L+R pull out sunvisors and sunglasses holder.
The mk6 Golf TDI also does.
The mk5 and mk6 JSW Jetta station wagon has only driver's side pull out visor and no sunglasses holder.

I haven't bothered to check the late mk5 Jetta yet but I believe only the driver's side pulls out. They have sunglasses holder.

Don't know why they didn't just put them on all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While reading the Jetta overview on this site, they stated that the Jetta has an auxillary air heater as part of the climate control system.

I looked in the manual for our Sportwagen, and I don't see this listed. Nor do I see it listed on our spec sheet.

Is this something that is standard as part of Climatic, or is it not available in the Sportwagen.

Thanks for all the help
please feel free to correct me if someone knows the exact answer, but I ran across this forum, or Fred's forum mentioning that if you move the temp knob all the way to the max hot until you hear a satisfying , subtle "click", without turning the fan on, this activates the AUX heater...

does this sound familiar to anyone else?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with this, as I live in NH, and already had some cold mornings. I start getting heat right away prior to the temperature gauge moving, without having to turn the temp all the way up. Mostly it's in the middle of the range and heat comes on.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I am pretty sure that you don't have to turn the heat to max. I do believe that if econ is on it doesn't turn on. If you hear the click it's on. I can definitely tell when it's on because the air isn't frigid.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Well I don't turn the blower on until I've done at least 1/2 a mile in the icy weather we're having in the UK. It feels only aired not hot. google it brings back

Auxiliary Heater ???

Other models Caravelle, Sharan have had Auxiliary Heaters. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am pretty sure that you don't have to turn the heat to max. I do believe that if econ is on it doesn't turn on. If you hear the click it's on. I can definitely tell when it's on because the air isn't frigid.
On my '10 JSW when it's stone cold outside I have to turn the heat to max to get it to kick in the aux heater. I've also noticed that if the rpms drop below something like 1300 I can hear the relays click and the heater kicks back out. Get the revs back up, relays click and heat comes back. Great feature in the car too.

Oh, and my '10 JSW has the overhead sunglasses holder...mine has no sunroof either...

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont think my 2010 JSW has a aux heater. it doesn't get warm until the motor heats up even with it all the way to hot. Does the aux heater show up in a vagcom scan? Easy to find out if it does.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Does the aux heater show up in a vagcom scan? Easy to find out if it does.
Yes it has an 18-Aux.Heater button in VCDS I clicked it but it said No responce from Controller so it probably isn't fitted to mine. It doesn't check for it an a Autoscan. The Autoscan function scans each controller in the vehicle to retrieve controller information -- VAG number, Component number, Soft. Coding, WSC, and Fault codes.

Taken from Controllers ;)

18-Aux.Heater -- CAN-Bus
VCDS works fine if equipped (optional equipment).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will have to test this out to ensure it is operational. It's been (very!) cold in the week I've owned the car, and the heat has always taken more than a mile/few minutes to feel satisfactory.

I didn't try cranking the heat beyond 90%, because I subscribe to the theory linked on the uk-mkivs.net link above - that requiring ANY heat on a super cold day will force the aux heater on - it is thermostate based, not switch position based! Shall confirm if everything listed/described works the same on the 2011, or whether it noe requires the 90% or higher setting.

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
So what do you drive when you only show Mazda 6/2003?

If it can't fit them all in you can use your signature? ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my 10 Golf my experience is that when I direct the air to dash vents and go full temp there is nearly instantaneous heat. I mean like 10 seconds from cold start. Within minutes I need to turn down the temp (but this is California). When directed to floor vent as typical when heating a car I cannot feel warm air until the car warms up. Also, it seems like at about 30 minutes the heat suddenly drops.

So from my observations I think the aux heater is instant but only has output from the dash vents. And it works full range of the temp control but is thermostatically controlled. And it stops working after 30 minutes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I checked it and I don't have anything at address 18. Pretty sure my JSW doesn't have it. Don't really need it much in Florida, but it would have been really nice a few weeks ago when I was traveling and it was 18F for a high. Maybe I'll retrofit it one day.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is a great forum. I had no idea my car had this great feature, but I tried it today, and it seems to produce some warm air from nearly the start. Very cool.

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts
Well when I checked ETKA for the parts I think it was only listed for the Jetta. It wasn't an electric heater is was a fuel burner that had its own exhaust pipe. Similar to the old VW auxilary heaters that you could set on a timer for 30 minutes before you got in an a freezing morning to drive off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts