VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/31/2011-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-joins-autoblogs-long-term-garage/#aol-comments

They have a new 2011 TDI Jetta to replace their Cup edition 2010 Jetta TDI. Unfortunately the information given is not complete but from the article. Still it appears that the the car ran dry of oil after a change in a quick lube type joint. No mention of mileage post oil change but two things are interesting.

No one noticed any oil spots and no indicator lights came on. Still the engine ended up being replace along with the turbo unit. Anyone else have a TDI go tits up for oil loss without a the light coming on?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The problem is that the oil warning light only goes off if it's catastrophically low. There must have been quite an oil slick under the car though that nobody noticed ....or nobody wanted to fess up to!

Also, trouble removing the splash pan? Seriously, all the screws are obvious. VW is not unique or confusing here. Then trouble installing the drain plug??? So a quick lube place has no idea how to change the oil? What a good level of competence.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Then trouble installing the drain plug??? So a quick lube place has no idea how to change the oil? What a good level of competence.
Not unheard-of for such places. A friend of mine had a mid-80s vintage Toyota Supra that he took to one of the bigger quick lube chains; they cross-threaded the drain plug, which caused the oil to leak out. IIRC, it was caught before the engine seized; he sued the shop in small-claims court & won. This was in 1989; until today, it was the only time I heard of such a thing happening.

Over the last 20+ years, I've gone to similar places with US/Japanese cars I've owned and never had an issue. With my A3, the dealer has done my two oil changes -- I have AudiCare, so it's already paid for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I do all of the work that I have the tools and technical literature to perform. For the matters I have to rely on someone else for I practice the "trust but verify" philosophy. I think that this example should have presented a very clear "verify" indication in the form of an oil tracer.

I still find it hard to believe that none of these auto journalist professionals pulled the dipstick to check the oil in the 2.5 months (their statement) following the lube oil change. Especially since they were performing a long term vehicle assessment, of which oil consumption and routine up keep should be something they were noting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still find it hard to believe that none of these auto journalist professionals pulled the dipstick to check the oil in the 2.5 months (their statement) following the lube oil change. Especially since they were performing a long term vehicle assessment, of which oil consumption and routine up keep should be something they were noting.
I think the bulk of the internet journalist are more concerned with looking cool and gloating about the cars they are given. Comparing autoblog reviews to most printed magazines is hilarious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts