VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 jetta tdi auto/tiptronic with 190000 milles and few issues with it.
First problem is that it does not reverse unless the temperature gage reaches the normal .(transm oil is ok and at the right level checked from vw dealer).

Second problem is gas millage : never over 300- 330milles/or 500 kil per tank.

And.. as they say never two without three.. it starts to smell like diesel inside the cabin (feels like heat coming under the dash in to my feet) IT seems that it happends when it is really hot outside and goes away when temperature drops

Please let me know if anyone had experienced similar prombles
thank you
george

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply , no i did not do regular maintenance , but what valve body? (where is located on the motor?) Is this part of regural maintenance? the car it was running perfecty until it happent overnight.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Good suggestion but I don't know either. The valve body is what controls the shifting. I'm not a transmission guy but the 04-06 autos were considerably more reliable that the 98-03 automatic transmissions. This would be something that a transmission should would need to rebuild, assuming that it was bad

However, it's possible that the wiring to the valve body is bad. Maybe once the car warms up, some wiring contacts or something in the valve body closes up and lets the car go into reverse.

The dealer will tell you it's lifetime fluid but a suggested change interval is not over 100,000 miles. At this point a fluid flush could also cause problems. The fresh detergents in the new ATF would clean out buildup that is adding friction to the clutches and can cause minor leaks.

At this point, choose the least of evils. Before changing anything a transmission flush with OEM VW fluid would be a start and the least expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts