1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Darn, that specific video has embedding disabled by youtube. I thought about doing this mod but I rarely use the trunk so I found it harder to justify. The price is right though, if you do it, feel free to take some pics and notes such as bolt sizes, tools, etc., and I'll process it into the FAQ.

It looks like they're stronger struts? If so, it would make it harder to close the hatch? What is it about the skoda struts that enable this?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It also looks like repositioning the latch could change the leverage point but if you need new struts to do this trick then then the struts must be key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect that two factors are at work here:
- the new strut is more powerful and
- the change in position is to give it a better angle for leverage.

Neat idea really - wonder if you could simply change the position with the regular struts?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect that two factors are at work here:
- the new strut is more powerful and
- the change in position is to give it a better angle for leverage.

Neat idea really - wonder if you could simply change the position with the regular struts?
You are correct, however, I've been told the standard struts aren't powerful enough as the Skoda ones in the kit.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Stock Struts will do the trick

I now have an auto open hatch on a Mk6.
All I did was flip the body-to-strut mounts 180 degrees (like in the video) on the the stock struts using a T30 bit.
No Vagcom, No new struts. No new spring loaded bumpers.
No $$.

The only downside is the hatch is slightly harder to close.
Opens with press and hold on the key fob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Observation re. opening hatch

For the record this will not work on the 2010 Golf Wagon (in Canada at least). The strut connections are not the same. The bracket that holds them on the car frame are different. You can see where the holes for the reversible bracket were, but they have been "filled" in before painting.

Maybe this only works with the regular hatchbacks, not the wagons?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I now have an auto open hatch on a Mk6.
All I did was flip the body-to-strut mounts 180 degrees (like in the video) on the the stock struts using a T30 bit.
No Vagcom, No new struts. No new spring loaded bumpers.
No $$.

The only downside is the hatch is slightly harder to close.
Opens with press and hold on the key fob.
I tested it this morning. (cooler temperature)

It did not pop open on the first try.

It was close, but did not pop open.
I opened the hatch manually and closed it.
I tried it again, and voila, it popped open.
So ...when the struts are cool or have sat unused it does not work or may not work on the first try.
This mod will be useless if you have you hands full of shopping bags or whatever and its cool or cold outside or you haven't popped the hatch in hours
I think I am going to go back to the stock mount position.
Why?
Now that the "shine" of this mod has worn off, I prefer how the hatch closes when stock.
When stock, you do not need to touch the outside of the hatch to close it.
You just grab the inner handle of the hatch (marked "pull") and toss the hatch closed.
I am glad I did not spend any money to find out I prefer the stock closing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If someone with mk6 has a problem with those directions , feel free to try the directions for mk5 via Vag-Com(at your own risk) :

First.. The VAG-Com work. YOU CAN NOT USE THE LATEST UPDATE, so if you have updated your vag-com to VCDS 8.50, you will need need to re-install the older version 704.1 .

You need to change the following (at your own risk):

46 - Central Convenience
Byte 2 Bit 3.

Once the adjustments are made and you update the central convenience, you should be able to hit the hatch button on the Key FOB and hear it pop. Without any help, the hatch merely pops, but doesn't get past the release. Until you install the Strut
Hope it helps ! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts