VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2010 TDI Sportwagen with navigation. My questions are: (1) is it possible to convert the standard headlights to headlights with an auto on-off feature? and (2) is it possible to add rain-sensing wipers? Of the two, I would really like to add auto on-off headlights (the wiper modificaiton would be nice but is not essential). Are there commercially available kits for these operations? Is there a modification shop anywhere that you know of that does such modifications? Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They come together in the same sensor. If it's anything like the mk5 cars you just need the sensor that goes on the windshield behind the mirror. You're supposed to put on a new windshield but you can do without it. Then wire it. I think it costs a few hundred dollars for the sensor, wiring, and auto headlight switch. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3762838 Here's a thread where someone did it on a mk5. The problem is that nobody's done it with the new mk6 electronics yet but they probably use the same parts.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
This is correct. I'm not aware of aftermarket sensor retrofit kits.

Once nice features of the OEM sensor is that I believe you can set it to close the windows and sunroof if it detects rain while you're parked.

Well I checked vs. the other thread and I can verify that for the 2010 JSW TDI, the rear view mirror is either 1k0 857 511 b or 5k0 857 511 b. The 5k0 part number says that it has high beam assistant but I'm not sure what that means.

The rain sensor is 1k0 955 559 ah. Because it's the same as the mk5 part, I'll bet that it's the same.

If you do this mod, please document it and share here so that others may benefit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
They come together in the same sensor. If it's anything like the mk5 cars you just need the sensor that goes on the windshield behind the mirror. You're supposed to put on a new windshield but you can do without it.
On my A3, there appears to be a small hole in the windshield glass over the sensor -- without that, the rain sensor may not work.

Once nice features of the OEM sensor is that I believe you can set it to close the windows and sunroof if it detects rain while you're parked.
I've tried this mod on my A3 -- it doesn't seem to work. However, it might work on the JSW, at least for the windows. US JSWs don't seem to support any kind of autoclose on the sunroof, whether it's from the keyfob or the rain sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
US JSWs don't seem to support any kind of autoclose on the sunroof, whether it's from the keyfob or the rain sensor.
I was able to program my 2009 JSW to close the windows and sunroof with the key fob by pressing it twice, you need to use VAGCOM (I think this is all of the settings, always write down the settings before hand, in case you want to revert back!):

46-Central Conv
Byte 6, bit 5, uncheck
byte 6, bit 6 (comfort function automatic closing), check
byte 7, bit 2, check
byte 7, bit 5, check
byte 8, bit 1 2 4 6, check
byte 8, bit 5, check

I can close all of the windows and the sunroof (plus the interior shade) and I can also open all of the windows, vent the sunroof, and fully open the interior shade.

For closing, just lock the car with the lock button on the remote, then press and hold the lock button a second time until the windows start to close, then release, the everything will fully close.

To open, just unlock the car once, then press and hold again, but when you let go of the button, the windows stop opening at that point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good to know about the JSW sunroof -- I was going on some stuff I read over at TDIClub, and what I saw on my A3. The programming is a bit different between the A3 and JSW; for one thing the A3 doesn't have a module 46, even though the autoscan says it does.

I did manage to get my windows to open/close with the keyfob, but I haven't been able to get the rain-closing feature to work, nor can I operate the sunroof with the keyfob.

·
Registered
91 Posts
After VCDS mod, my Golf will close the sunroof (along with the windows) from the fob, but will not open it. (The windows will open, though.)

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
My questions are: (1) is it possible to convert the standard headlights to headlights with an auto on-off feature? and (2) is it possible to add rain-sensing wipers?
Why on earth would you want these features? If you don't know its going dark or you don't know if its raining then you shouldn't be driving. They are just complicating simplicity, thats something else to go wrong.

Well I checked vs. the other thread and I can verify that for the 2010 JSW TDI, the rear view mirror is either 1k0 857 511 b or 5k0 857 511 b. The 5k0 part number says that it has high beam assistant but I'm not sure what that means.

The rain sensor is 1k0 955 559 ah. Because it's the same as the mk5 part, I'll bet that it's the same.

The 1k0 857 511 b is Interior mirror, automatic anti dazzle in satin black - £159.65.

5k0 857 511 b is the same description but £258.04

The 1k0 955 559 K is the rain sensor but it doesn't show a price.

1k0 955 559 is Adaptor wiring harness with rain sensor for automatic anti-dazzle interior rear view mirror. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, for the 2010 JSW, what's the glass part number? I've found the following form a 2010 Jetta

1k5 845 011 P
1k5 845 011 BG
1k5 845 011 BC

all have a spot for a rain sensor, but I am unsure if they will fit the JSW. Thanks, Justin.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm working on a plan to devise a photocell/relay combo that will work as an alternative to VW's light sensor. I'm not touching the rain sensor capabilities just yet. I'm really not liking the idea of removing my stock mirror to install that monstrosity and have a tacky install on it to boot with all that glue and I'm really not interested in replacing a windshield on a new car. This is more of a fun project for me than anything else because I really don't need auto headlights. I just want to see if I can get it done without using the factory parts. I haven't been able to find any parts for this purpose except for a small kit thats supposed to run on a 9V battery. I think it could work with some adjustments. I would like to put this sensor somewhere near where the windshield meets the dash, specifically I'm thinking the plastic cap in the center of the defrost slot at the front of the dash. I'm not sure what's under that though. I think its definitely doable with the right combo of parts. I was thinking of maybe trying to use a sensor setup from another auto manufacturer. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions that might help me?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Originally Posted by chittychittybangbang

High beam assist:
High beam assist + rain sensor/ automatic dimming interior rear mirror
The traffic will be checked by an integrated camera within the mirror (only on the 5k0 857 511 b)
The high beam will be switched on automatically Depending on the pace , Complete darkness
Automatic dip of the the high beam - oncoming traffic as well as vehicles in front of you won't be dazzled .
very nice mode

·
Registered
1 Posts
rain sensor not working

Hi,

Recently I replace my wind shield and now my rain sensor is not working in Skoda laura, the rain sensor is not working( the rain sensor is similar to vw) . can some provide help me on this.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Just bought a 2010 TDI Sportwagen with navigation. My questions are: (1) is it possible to convert the standard headlights to headlights with an auto on-off feature? and (2) is it possible to add rain-sensing wipers? Of the two, I would really like to add auto on-off headlights (the wiper modificaiton would be nice but is not essential). Are there commercially available kits for these operations? Is there a modification shop anywhere that you know of that does such modifications? Thanks.

You can get the "euro" light switch and replace yours. This will allow an auto setting which shuts off lights after car has been shut down. Take all about 2-3 minutes to swap.

As for the rain sensor, I was looking in to this for my MK5 and it required a new windshield. So I didn't do it.

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
As for the rain sensor, I was looking in to this for my MK5 and it required a new windshield. So I didn't do it.
Why do you need a new windscreen when the rain/light sensor is behind the interior mirror stuck to the screen?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Why do you need a new windscreen when the rain/light sensor is behind the interior mirror stuck to the screen?
This was 2008 for a MK5. I don't remember the details, but I think it was because the "shading" on the glass where it is mounted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts