VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a problem with the reverse on my car it has a tiptronic auto box. The car reverses ok on the flat or down hill but not uphill. i have looked in to this on the web and i might be possible to correct this with an oil change for the gearbox. When i looked into this it seems oil from vw is very exspensive so i looked to find out who manufactured the gearbox and that is ZF, model 5HP19FL. it seems this gearbox made its way into some other cars including bmw. ZF recomend esso LT 71141 a fully synthetic oil for the gearbox. a search on ebay and i find a ATF MV LT71141 Synthetic 5 lt oil avalable for £34.15 including delivery from a company called smith & allen. cheaper than buying 2ltr from vw. does anyone know if i am ok using this? has anyone had the same problem as i have? and if so how did it get sorted? Thanks Plasma.;)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I think that spec is also called BMW 71141 but not 100% sure. ZF also makes transmissions for Porsche, BMW, and others. Any oil that meets ZF's spec is fine. I don't use VW's oil because it's more expensive and you'll find that many people do the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right i changed the gearbox oil today but reverse is only maginally better so now i need to look further into the problem :(.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
When all we know about you is Passat England that does really tell us much. How old is it, which model and whats the mileage? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts