VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Audi has been talking about it for a while, but they have released the concept, using a 6.0L TDI V12.

But will people actually buy it and what is the performance? Can you imagine the R8 at a truckstop? Or how many people will just fill it with gasoline out of habit?

Some more Audi A4 TDI news too: Abt has released a 3.0L TDI with 300 hp and 443 ft-lbs torque, can't wait for this thing to get to the US!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124210

DETROIT — Audi will unveil a new concept version of its midengine R8 supercar, powered by a 6.0-liter V12 TDI, next week at the 2008 Detroit Auto Show, according to several European press reports.

A spokesman for Audi of America confirmed to Inside Line that the company will display three significant new models at the Detroit show, including the North American debut of the 2009 A4, as well as the world debuts of "a new production car and a concept." The production car is the TTS, a performance edition of the TT coupe.

A report in Automotive News Europe quoted an unnamed Audi insider as saying the R8 TDI concept is intended to raise the profile of the brand in North America. The source told the publication that Audi expects more than 15 percent of its North American sales by 2015 will be diesels.

The current R8 is available only with a 4.2-liter V8, but Audi is planning to offer a new V10 displacing around 5.2 liters and delivering more than 500 horsepower.
The A4 news:

KEMPTEN, Germany — Abt Sportsline has been tuning Audis for some time. So it should come as no surprise that even the diesel versions of the new A4 sedan come out of Christian Abt's shop breathing fire.

Case in point: The A4 3.0 TDI, which gets kicked up to 300 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque, once it is transformed into the Abt AS4. The 2.7 TDI gets similar treatment, climbing to 230 hp, while the smaller 2.0 TDI jumps to 200 hp. Even the turbocharged 1.8 TSFI gasoline engine gets a bump to 240 hp.

The AS4 body kit bundles the usual add-ons: front apron, side skirts, rear diffuser and spoiler. Abt alloy wheels are available in sizes from 18 to 20 inches.

The tuner doesn't stop there. Under-the-skin upgrades include stiffer springs and bigger brakes.

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very cool....now who wants to dontate to my "buy an Audi R8" fund??? I'll take 3!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I think the A4 TDI is more likely. It doesn't say what kind of performance it has, but the 3.0 nonturbo gas engine is only about 250 hp, 250 torque, I'm guessing. The TDI has to have better performance!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Audi plans to release some diesels in the US, if the A4 v6 costs about $40,000 after everything, hopefully the TDI v6 stays about the same. Maybe $2000 premium? Of course you want the quattro!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
doubtful, the v6 will probably go into the Audi, the 4 cyl will go into the VW...TDI engines that is.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
You never know, VW has also greenlit the scirroco (maybe not for the US though). So I guess with past history,the V6 TDI in a VW will be euro only, lol.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Details leaked!!!

The big turbodiesel is rated at 500 horsepower and 737 pound-feet of torque, will propel the car to a top speed of more than 186 mph, will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in less than 4.2 seconds, and will return an average fuel economy of 23.5 mpg.

video of the v12 TDI R8 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-DTwoh2RQ

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
It costs too much...interesting concept, who knows if it moves beyond concept. Can you imagine doing a launch with awd and 737 ft-lbs of torque? Is awd even enough to get traction?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Drool....let's hope that Audi brings the TDI to the US!

The R8 TDI will definitely bring some very nice sporting image to the diesel image. IT might actually bring...[gasp] mainstream recognition???

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
How does Audi think they actually have a market for these?
I hope it's just a concept because the regular V8 R8 is faster, once they come out with the V10 gasoline engine, it will be cheaper and way faster than the V12 TDI. I don't think people buying a $200,000 car will care about mileage. The regular R8 after markup is going for $160,000. The V10 will probably go for about $180,000 after markup.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
How does Audi think they actually have a market for these?
I hope it's just a concept because the regular V8 R8 is faster, once they come out with the V10 gasoline engine, it will be cheaper and way faster than the V12 TDI. I don't think people buying a $200,000 car will care about mileage. The regular R8 after markup is going for $160,000. The V10 will probably go for about $180,000 after markup.
Yes!

BTW, from what I've read, there might be a V8 TDI R8 that will be cheaper than the gasoline V8 R8. Maybe the V12 will be the same price as the V10?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Yes!

BTW, from what I've read, there might be a V8 TDI R8 that will be cheaper than the gasoline V8 R8. Maybe the V12 will be the same price as the V10?
You are assuming that the gasoline one will be more desirable hence the higher price. For me, the coolness factor of pulling into the truck stop and filling up the R8 would be worth more!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I don't think a supercar which most people never see in person well enough to know that it's a diesel will do much for diesel images in the public eye. People have to get in these cars, drive them, and have a good experience to continue to want them. Seeing a supercar on the internet isn't going to do that.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I don't think a supercar which most people never see in person well enough to know that it's a diesel will do much for diesel images in the public eye. People have to get in these cars, drive them, and have a good experience to continue to want them. Seeing a supercar on the internet isn't going to do that.
But it's still nice to dream. And there was a lot of coverage in the media about the R10 TDI Audi race car so a rare car CAN bring attention to diesels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts