VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Many thanks to the donor which let me view this picture. I have edited it to highlight the emissions system and photoshopped out some of the non-emissions related items.

More info on the system can be found in the FAQ article: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/vw-touareg-tdi-dpf-audi-q7.htmhttp://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm . This only applies to the Q7. The Touareg has a shorter body and only one Adblue tank. Enjoy!

From the earlier post, here is a picture of just the adblue system

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Interesting. The small tubing from the top AdBlue tank to the bottom AdBlue tank explains why refilling the lower tank is so slow and requires an almost continuous "burping" of the system to get it to accept fluid after the addition of about 2-3 liters. It also explains why the owner's manual says that it can take a few minutes after adding before the sensors will see it.

I now have 12,400 miles on the car. I've added a total of about 8 gallons of AdBlue over time, and the level sensors have not yet given any warning of being low. I plan to keep adding it in increments so as not to have to take it to the dealer for a readaptation of the level sensor. We'll see.

PS - Audi AdBlue, aka Diesel Exhaust Fluid, has a lower MSRP than the equivalent VW fluid. I pay $13.50 for the 2.5 gallon container at my Audi dealer. When I last checked with a VW parts counter, the price was in excess of $18.00.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
How many miles does one gallon of Adblue take you and how does that figure into the economics of the TDI?
Based off what I hear secondhand, 5 gallons should last about 10,000 miles.

That's $27/10k per Dutch's Audi brand Adblue (which is actually a good price and much cheaper than what I've heard) which is 0.27 cents/mile.

Also, I added a nicer picture of the DPF fill port on the Audi Q7 to the DPF FAQ.

Edit, it was late and I was tired :), Dutch VanAtlanta is right, it's .27 cents/mile not $0.27/mile.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts

That's $27/10k per Dutch's Audi brand Adblue (which is actually a good price and much cheaper than what I've heard) which is $0.27 cents/mile.
$13.50/2.5 gallons is Audi's list price. At 5 gallons per 10,000 miles, that adds a cost of $.0027/mile - more if you pay the dealer to refill and reset the level sensor. One dealer quoted me $100 to do that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
LOL, math mistake excused. The cost of Adblue doesn't seem too bad. The oil for the oil change is more expensive. I'm really waiting to see if Audi brings over the A4 TDI. How is the BMW 3 diesel selling?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
LOL, math mistake excused. The cost of Adblue doesn't seem too bad. The oil for the oil change is more expensive. I'm really waiting to see if Audi brings over the A4 TDI. How is the BMW 3 diesel selling?
Oil change and filter is no charge at 5,000 miles. After that it is 8.5qts oil + filter every 10,000 miles. Also a DIY project.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts

Also, I added a nicer picture of the DPF fill port on the Audi Q7 to the DPF FAQ.
I'm finding that, because the Q7 has two tanks, you can only easily add about 2-3 liters through that fill port without having to wait for the fluid to drain down to the lower tank; and that takes time. I'm speculating that there may be a valve between those two tanks. For that reason I only add 2-3 liters at a time when topping off the system.

Also, the 2.5 gallon AdBlue container does not have the proper fitting to fill through the port. The 2 liter bottle does, and it is spring loaded after screwing in onto the port opening. I cut the bottom out of an empty 2 liter bottle and use it as a funnel to add from the larger container. If you want a picture, let me know.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can add Adblue yourself. I've heard mixed things, Dutch VanAtlanta said that after a dealer reflash the Adblue light came on.

If it goes off and adding adblue doesn't turn it off and you waited 30 seconds after turning the car on and adding adblue, then no you can't turn the light off yourself. In other words, if it doesn't go off by itself and you don't have a VCDS tool, you can't turn it off.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
You can add Adblue yourself. I've heard mixed things, Dutch VanAtlanta said that after a dealer reflash the Adblue light came on.

If it goes off and adding adblue doesn't turn it off and you waited 30 seconds after turning the car on and adding adblue, then no you can't turn the light off yourself. In other words, if it doesn't go off by itself and you don't have a VCDS tool, you can't turn it off.
It can be turned off with VAG-COM. Ross Tech has an unverified procedure that worked for me. Since it's unverified, they don't want it published to the forum until they get more verification data points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my case, I have a 2007 Q7 TDI, which has no Adblue tank. Due to this I had DPF problem as a result of bad fuel. I have currently dropped the DPF, but the vehicle smokes so much, which is unusual. Could it be i need to check the injector pump or nozzles. What is the best option out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts