VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
It appears that there has been a change to the way that the hardware functions on my 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI with the last firmware update; and this affects how much of the AdBlue fluid you, as the owner, can add at one time. It used to be that the maximum you could add was two of the 2 liter bottles. You would then have to drive some before you could add any more.

Since the last firmware update I have been able to add an entire 2.5 gallon jug at one time; and while you're adding it, you can hear the fluid gurgling, flowing down to the lower larger tank from the smaller upper tank. You could never hear this flow before, probably because it didn't happen while adding.

This is a good change!:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's weird...I know about the 2 tanks on the Q7 but why do you think that is?
Not the first clue. I'm guessing that the last firmware update changed the way the valve between the two tanks operates. It used to be that you could never add more than 4 liters (~1/2 gal) without the dealer's special tool. Now I can add a full 2.5 gal jug, and probably more if I had it in stock.

PS - I use an empty 2 liter AdBlue bottle with the bottom cut out and screwed on to the fill pipe as my way of adding from the 2.5 gallon jug. It's neat and clean with no spillage.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Can someone tell me where to get the 2 liter bottle of AdBlue that you modified to use as a funnel?
Thank you
This is a dealer item but any BMW, Audi, Mercedes, GM/domestic Adblue/Diesel exhaust fluid bottle will work. They all use the same filler and threads.

Also, since early last year someone reported that you CAN unscrew the top and refill it. I just didn't want to force it as there are teeth on the cap but you just have to turn it harder to get it off and refill.

Or you can cut the bottom off and it's a funnel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the funnel idea.. Never liked having a tank that is not clear. And the crystals on carpet would be bad if overfilled .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 2014 Cayenne. So my understanding is that you can top off the ad blue at anytime from what you stated . No special tools just fill-and go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts