VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6698935/news/audi-to-expand-diesel-powertrains-across-more-us-offerings/index.html

It seems the A4 won't come until the next generation and only with the 4 cylinder.

Cliffs below:

North American executives within the automaker confirm the company is moving to offer diesel engines in most, if not all, of its volume model lines.

In a recent interview with Automotive News, Johan de Nysschen, president of Audi of America, indicated the company was looking to roll out diesel out diesel engines "across the Audi line." According to the executive, the automaker will offer diesel -- or TDI, as it and parent Volkswagen calls it -- versions of virtually every model in its lineup, save for its TT and R8 sports car, by 2015. de Nysschen specifically mentioned diesel versions of the A6 and A8 sedans, Q5 crossover, and the next-generation A4 are all currently in the pipeline.

Certainly, the strict 2016 CAFE regulations are forcing the company to re-evaluate its engine portfolio, but interestingly, dealers are asking Audi's product planners for more diesel options. According to Automotive News, roughly half of all A3 sales are for TDI models, while a whopping 40 percent of all Q7s sold are equipped with a turbo-diesel engine.

Few details have been revealed thus far on any of the diesel models, but don't look for the next A4 TDI to carry more than four cylinders underhood. Although the company's six-cylinder diesel could be used in the car, the sheer cost of adding the engine would conflict with the A4's high-volume nature.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here is an official press release from Audi, 2007. I wouldn't hold my breath but they are closer than ever.

Audi launches TDI initiative in the USA...As early as next year, Audi will be putting the cleanest diesel engine in the world into series production vehicles in the USA virtually in parallel to its launch in Europe: the 3.0 TDI with ultra-low emission system will initially be available for the Audi Q7, and later for the new Audi A4....Leading market research firms such as J. D. Power predict that diesel engines will have a 12 to 15 percent share of the US market in 2015"
The A4 TDI 4 cylinder would be a smart move but they should at least have the 6 cylinder engine optional for those who want it, especially since the same engine and drivetrain is used in the US spec Touareg and Q7 TDI and overseas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm surprised (disappointed?) they didn't use the 170hp 4-cyl diesel.
Would seem to be a better match for a larger car like the A4.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Audi recently released their new TDI engine in their European A4. It uses an almost identical 2.0L 138 hp engine that is in the US. The euro rating in US gallons is 54 mpg which translates to somewhere in the 40 mpg range. The base price is $45,000 US dollars which means the US price would probably in the high 30s.

The 170 hp engine is optional and I hope they make it optional.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Only VW has had TDI until the 2009 Audi Q7 and A3 TDI. They always come with only one engine choice too. Mercedes Benz had a few diesels here and there and BMW just introduced their diesels in the 3 series and X5. There's not much choice but the cars are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Flippin heck, I would've thought they would've noticed the popularity of vag based tdi's overseas. I mean we've got tons of the Audis over here and they've been around for years. I don't know why they don't introduce the Seat range also because they're moaning about not selling enough but the states are huge with millions of potential customers. Beats me.:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Long story short, European cars are too expensive. I looked at the price of the Touareg TDI and hybrid - they're $60-100,000 cars in the UK!!! There's no way anyone would pay that for those cars in the US. (ie., Phaeton, Passat W8.) There are no "base" Mercedes here that I've seen in Europe and you can't special order a VW despite being built on the same exact assembly line. Customers have different expectations too - they want to walk into a dealership and buy a car that day on credit. Expectations and the competition is why the new Jetta for North America is decontented compared to the last car and the European Jetta and why the "NMS" North American Passat replacement is planned to be decontented as well. Americans are badge conscious so right now, if you want highline options they force you to buy an Audi.

IIRC VW sells about the same number of cars as Kia in the US yet has a much bigger image partly because of their heritage. Until this generation of TDI and the V10 $70,000 Touareg, demand has always been far greater than supply for TDI. The bad economy and greater supply have made demand slightly lower but TDI are still very good sellers. But why would they sell cars here when they can make much more money selling them in Europe? Therefore, the TDI supply stays overseas, or as you call it,.....underseas? :)

IIRC, VW was losing money on every Rabbit (mk5 Golf) that they sold in the US. When compared to the competition, VW offered an economical European car other than Saab or Volvo. If they Americanize their cars too much they'll have to give have something other than spectacular German reliability :pukerofl to get customers. So yes the US is a huge customer base but there's also very stiff competition with very low prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts