VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 2008 A4 Tdi has 140.000km on the dial and all of a sudden one day the engine was losing power, exhaust was smoking and smelled bad.
The OBD reader indicated MAF sender was faulty, then the EGR valve and so on. Did a full service on all 4 injectors as well but nothing got better.
Two garages was consulted but no one could tell what was wrong with the engine.

Decided to stripdown the valve cover and rocker arms and there it was! One hydraulic lifter was opened like a thin can.(see picture) there were a few more badly misshandeled too. Even the camshaft was damaged.
Have beeen sevicing the car since new, every 15000-17000 km intervals using fully synthectic oil and now I am really concerned.
A diesel engine should not break down after 140.000 km, should it? What has gone wrong, can it be material decfect, or even worse - a design flaw? My respect for German design has taken a toll I must say.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Have ordered parts like new camshaft, complete new set of hydraulic lifters and a set of gaskets.

Work will start as soon as parts arrive.
Will report when engine is running again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like they have been running short on oil so I would be checking Oil pump output and if that checks ok I would check oil type.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Ronka1, newer considered low oil pressure to be the culprit.
Will check the oil pressure, however the dash board has given no indication whatsoever.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello kapilamuni,

The car the I have (actually it is my wife´s) is A4, 8 EC BPW 2.0 Tdi, 103kw

I have been working on this engine for some time by now, and everything has gone from bad to worse.
The hydraulic lifter problem damaged a valve as well so the cylinder head had to be lifted to replace the valve. During this process my respect for german engineering went to an all time low.
The fuel pump at the back of cylinder head has a really small space to work on, between the pump and firewall. My hands that are of normal size, had a real nightmare to get all pump fastening screws out.
It must criminal to design a car in this way.

Another design flaw on this engine is the the valve cover CAN NOT be removed with out lossening the inled maifold, tried to get it of hovever that resulted in a cracked valve cover and a new one had to be ordered!

Howevwer, yesterday the car was finalized and runs great! Have ordered a kit for oilpressure test and will do so when it arrives.
Hence, my answer to your question still remains to be answered.

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
As I said in your intro you need to add the year to your car spec as Audi A4 TDI covers a lot of years.

Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 08/2004-06/2008, Model: Audi A4/S4/Avant/Quattro, Engine Code: BPW, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 11/2005-03/2009, Model: Audi A4/S4 Cabriolet/Quattro, Engine Code: BPW, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As per request: The car is an Audi A4 TDi Avant/Quattro; Engine code 8EC, BPW, 2.0Ltr 4 Cyls, manufactured 06/2007

·
Super Moderator
9,329 Posts
As I said in your intro you need to add the year to your car spec as Audi A4 TDI covers a lot of years.
Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 08/2004-06/2008, Model: Audi A4/S4/Avant/Quattro, Engine Code: BPW, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt
Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 11/2005-03/2009, Model: Audi A4/S4 Cabriolet/Quattro, Engine Code: BPW, 103Kw, 140PS, 2.0 Ltr, 4 Cyls, Remarks: Turbocharged Direct Injection (TDI) Timing belt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts