VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 2003 Audi A4, petrol (sorry)

Two or three cycles when attemting to start the engine the word SAFE appears in place of the odometer numbers on the speedo. The engine runs for one second or so and stops. Some Internet searching says this is an immo problem However, the supplied user manual describes an idiot light for the immo function but the symbol doesn't exist on the display. Perhaps the car has 2002 electronics.

The two original keys have the same problem as well as the plastic emergency key.

I have studied the FAQ on the subject and now would like to explore the possibility of disabling the immo function. No danger of theft and the car may not be long in this world.

Thanks for any help,

BlackA4CVT

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

No you can't disable the immobilizer else theives would just carry a laptop. You've read solutions in FAQ. You could find someone with VAG.COM/VCDS that can check the settings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Immo SAFE on odometer cleared

Thanks for the reply.

The Immobilizer function went solid today. SAFE was displayed on the odometer continously. I was resigned to having the car towed to a dealer but, half heartedly, tried one of the fixes described elsewhere on this forum. Well what do you know, it worked! I disconnected the negitive battery terminal and opened the driver door. For good measure I stepped on the brake as noted in the instructions. Re-connected the battery and all seems well after one day of operation. W'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I just parked and was going to place the car in command start mode (standard so you have to put in neutral and pull the e-brake).

Anyways, I pulled the negative off the battery and pumped the brakes (x4) and it seemed to work.... not sure why but it works for now.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts