VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new member. I have Audi A4 2.0TDI BLB (2005/2006), driven about 180 000 km. My wife was happily driving the car when there was a loud bang and motor stopped (luckily it was in the traffic lights). Now I know the oil pump chain is broken, but first we thought it was the double mass flywheel.
Thanks eg. for this site, I know it is probably quite common failure and that Audi does not even have spare parts like the chain for the failure anymore. I have to buy the expensive replacement kit with balancing shafts et al, if I would follow the Audi way. Of course the Audi service does not know one similar case. However, indirectly Audi/VW acknowledges it is a design bug.
- I would like to get some good advice how to proceed: fix the engine or buy a new (refurbished) one?
Does anybody know service calls by Audi/VW in this matter?
- If my motor is now type BLB, are there other types which would suit as a replacement?

Rgds

Tapani S.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Audi service is lying, this is a very common problem. Other engines are a suitable replacement but I'm not sure of the differences, a junkyard would know though and their motors usually come with short warranty.

Read this FAQ, page 2 has some repair info: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b5/audi-a4-tdi-oil-pump-balance-shaft-replacement-repair.htm , at worst your old engine isn't worth repairing. At best it would need only the oil pump but it's best to check the bearings and camshaft so that you don't have to waste money and time repairing one thing, only to have another problem. Your failure was sudden but you don't know if you had low oil pressure for a while.

The fact that the motor stopped is not good. It could have thrown the timing belt. Please post a follow up if you find out, also post moved to general.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and thank you for the excellent site.
You are right. Even if I didn't notice any oil pressure problems before, there might be some other damage still. We are on that way already (finding new problems): the first, but wrong diagnosis was the flywheel and it was damaged. The two parts were loose some 5 to 10 degrees (of 360). DMF is also a part which is not any more available as spare part by Audi. The motor started well after this repair but the oil pressure was a immediate problem and we stopped the motor.
We try to check the total damages now and decide then what is the best way to proceed.
It is really a pity a nice car like A4 would have this kind of (design) problems. I had an Audi earlier (100 2.5TDI/-91) and I had no problems with the motor, it was still working fine at 320 000 kms when I sold it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and thank you for the excellent site.
You are right. Even if I didn't notice any oil pressure problems before, there might be some other damage still. We are on that way already (finding new problems): the first, but wrong diagnosis was the flywheel and it was damaged. The two parts were loose some 5 to 10 degrees (of 360). DMF is also a part which is not any more available as spare part by Audi. The motor started well after this repair but the oil pressure was a immediate problem and we stopped the motor.
We try to check the total damages now and decide then what is the best way to proceed.
It is really a pity a nice car like A4 would have this kind of (design) problems. I had an Audi earlier (100 2.5TDI/-91) and I had no problems with the motor, it was still working fine at 320 000 kms when I sold it.
Older audi's are great but these new ones are like chinese cars i have 2002 a4 1.9tdi and lot of problems if i sell this car i will go to mercedes again audi dissapointed me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2005 2.0Tdi Audi A4 with a 106,000miles, full service history. I have been warned by lots of people to stay away from them that they are troublesome engines and troubles with the oil pump, and the chain snaps on the crank shaft. Do people think i shpuld go ahead and buy it or not a good idea?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2005 2.0Tdi Audi A4 with a 106,000miles, full service history. I have been warned by lots of people to stay away from them that they are troublesome engines and troubles with the oil pump, and the chain snaps on the crank shaft. Do people think i shpuld go ahead and buy it or not a good idea?
Stay away or after you buy it, swap the oil pump chain with the newer design. See the B5 Passat FAQ here, same basic engine design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts