VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi does anyone know if i need to reassemble the balance shafts in any special position have just replaced faulty drive bar to pump and am ready to build back up but was just wondering if it mattered where the two shafts were set do the have to be timed or anything, mine is the gear driven type 2007

·
Registered
3 Posts
uprightbrian

Hi all.
Just found your forum and hope that you can help.
I'm in the process of replacing the balancer/oil pump assembly on my BRE engine and wondered if anyone could tell me the procedure for timing the assembly to the crankshaft.
By the way it is the gear driven one.
Thank you in advance.
Yours faithfully.
Brian Burrows.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Not sure what the BRE engine is but the procedure should be the same if it's the same module.

Take a look at part 2 of the balance shaft module procedure and there are step by step pictures. If you still can't figure it out, please take a picture of any differences with what is shown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
balance shaft.

Hello and thanks for your help.
Have installed the new balance shft and oil pump assembly plus a new turbo.
Also had to fit a new sump as this is modified to accomodate the new type balance shaft assembly.
The BRE engine by the way is 2.0 TD.
All is now fine with good oil preasure and no rattles.
Once again thanks for your help.
Regards
Brian

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Its a Audi A6 (05-) 2.0D TDI PD 2005-08 Engine code: BRE Chitty.

Where is Woodbridge Brian? ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
Well Brian its just a simple thing but you could add UK at the end as there are some users on here that put Birmingham and London and you know where those are in the UK but they are also in the States which is a bit confusing when its just a place name. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi people!

Looking for advice on timing the balance shafts on my Audi A4. Found my way to this forum and spotted the very handy link to the complete procedure. I need to have at least 1 post to view Part 2 which is the bit I need to see, so here It is...

will need to purchase or borrow a locking tool no doubt? Any ideas on the best place? I am based in Hertfordshire UK.

Cheers guys..

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Myturbodiesel.com

Well happy Easter everyone.
Joy of all joys I'm having to work today/this evening to get a desperate customers car back on the road!
A 2005 2.0 tdi A4 with broken Balance shaft drive chain.

Just about to fit them a gear drive set up and was looking here for tech info on timing them up! I had one hell of a job to get the crank shaft drive sprocket of the crank and am surprised that although the chain, tensioner and guides where smashed to bits, dual mass flywheel had spun in such a manner that I couldn't get to the flywheel bolts no other damage seems to have occurred.

I run a general and performance garage business and although I've replaced countless injectors and looms in this type engine this is the first time I've fund the chain to be a problem despite it would seem from posts I have read it is a bit of a known problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Well happy Easter everyone.
Joy of all joys I'm having to work today/this evening to get a desperate customers car back on the road!
A 2005 2.0 tdi A4 with broken Balance shaft drive chain.

Just about to fit them a gear drive set up and was looking here for tech info on timing them up! I had one hell of a job to get the crank shaft drive sprocket of the crank and am surprised that although the chain, tensioner and guides where smashed to bits, dual mass flywheel had spun in such a manner that I couldn't get to the flywheel bolts no other damage seems to have occurred.

I run a general and performance garage business and although I've replaced countless injectors and looms in this type engine this is the first time I've fund the chain to be a problem despite it would seem from posts I have read it is a bit of a known problem.
Yep, very common problem, I feel bad for all those who don't know and would have done something about it to save their engines!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi people!

Looking for advice on timing the balance shafts on my Audi A4. Found my way to this forum and spotted the very handy link to the complete procedure. I need to have at least 1 post to view Part 2 which is the bit I need to see, so here It is...

will need to purchase or borrow a locking tool no doubt? Any ideas on the best place? I am based in Hertfordshire UK.

Cheers guys..
I will be getting req tools over the next few days and when I have finished the job I have in hand the tools will be available to hire here in the UK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts