VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another update to the buying FAQ articles:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/8p/audiA3tdi_checklist.htm

MSRP is $30,775 which includes $825 destination fee. So $29,950 before destination. S-tronic (DSG) is standard.

EPA rating is 30 city/42 highway.

By comparison, the Lexus HS 250h has gotten lackluster reviews and is priced at just over $35,000. See the buying guide for some reviews.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not that bad but not great. That's about $6k over a Golf, $5k over a sportwagen. And I don't see what you're getting in the Audi other than some nicer trim.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That $5000 premium is to pay for TDI TV commercials for Audis that aren't on dealer lots to buy.
:nana2: LOL! The Q7 is sold out and I've rarely seen any A3, let alone A3 TDI! It must be like those piles of AOL CDs I used to get in the mail...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Isn't it true though? You're getting the old Golf body and paying a premium for it. If you want space - Jetta Sportwagen FTW.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The build configurator on the A3 site is up. It looks like the A3 TDI is about $1300 more than the 2.0T, after that tax credit it seems like you get your choice of A3. How convenient...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, the A3 TDI FAQ is updated to reflect the changes.

I thought that the A3 base model would have more standard equipment....no MFSW, no heated seats or mirrors. I priced out an A3 to spec and it came out to around $38,000 WOW. You could buy a loaded Golf or Jetta and add aftermarket parts to be roughly equal to the Audi and still be signifigantly cheaper. The only things that couldn't be easily added are the alcantara suede seats (titanium package), auto dual zone climate control, and auto rain wipers. The auto dimming rear view mirror could be added but I don't like those anyways.

While I'm an Audi fan, this car is just too expensive when cross shopping it with the Golf Jetta. When someone is buying an A3, the cheapest Audi, I believe that value is part of the equation. Less so with an A6.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Americans are more about brand name and image. You are paying extra for the brand name and hopefully, better dealer service. And like 8hector8 said, for those TV ads ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts