VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure why, but looking through parts catalogs, the 2010 and 2011 Audi A3 TDI are still listed as having the CBEA engine. This was the engine in the 2009 Jetta TDI. In 2010, some 2.0L VW TDI engines changed from CBEA to CJAA. The differences aren't fully known yet.

From 09-10 they did change the gearing of the manual transmission. The table of gear ratios are listed in the FAQ article of 09-10 changes.

One thing I did notice was that the Jetta TDI changed from a 1 piece DPF - NOx catalytic converter to a 2 piece unit from 2009 to 2010. The 2010 and 2011 A3 and Golf TDI are still listed with a 1 piece DPF-NOx converter.

Also, the part number for the Audi A3 TDI fuel filter is 3c0 127 434. The article http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a5/09Ffilter.htm is combined with the VWs because it's pretty much the same except for different sized lid bolts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I check which version of the engine I have on my A3? Is it an identifier when interfacing with the OBD?

I have long wondered what the difference is between the two. Every one of the enthusiasts' websites I've been on only mention that it's "virtually the same", but no one seem to have a clue, what he difference is.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure. It may say it on the sticker that's on the top of the timing belt cover. Older engines were like that but I never bothered to look on the newer ones.

Pull the engine cover off by pulling it straight up. Could you confirm which you have and the build date of your A3 TDI? There should be a sticker on the door jamb or trunk next to the spare tire with this info.

There are probably some small differences other than the DPF. I know they changed the engine management on 2010 Jetta but to the best of my knowledge, it was an across the board change for the 2010 Jetta/Golf, and probably A3. I'm not sure if the 2010s have CBEA or CJAA engines or if it's just the 2010 Jetta TDI. This is a guess off the parts catalog listing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My A3 TDI, build date Jan 10, apparently has the CBEA engine -- the VCDS log shows:

Address 01: Engine (CBE) Labels: NONE
Part No SW: 03L 906 022 SQ HW: 03L 906 022 SQ
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 6904
Revision: 12H03--- Serial number: AUX7Z0J0FN80T4
Coding: 0350078
Shop #: WSC 07109 444 85692

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0
I haven't pulled the engine cover yet, as I'm out of town for the weekend, but I'm pretty sure any label I find will confirm the VCDS output.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine's CBEA as well.

Well, mine's got 03/10 build date. The timing belt cover says the engine designation letters are CBE. So, I assume the engine is also CBEA then. It looks liket CJAA is only on the '10 Jetta TDIs.

I'm curious, though, I thought CBEA identifies the engine itself, not so much the entire drive train, so there must be some differences in the engine itself, rather than just minor differences in the components surrounding the engine, e.g. the DPF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts