VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new member of this forum and wondered if someone has had this "issue" before.

I have an Audi A3 2009 2.0 TDI with 140hp, with the CBA common-rail engine. I got it a month ago, and I already did a big service on it. I bought a new LuK DMF (flywheel, plate + clutch disc), replaced the timing belt, serpentine belt, drive belt tensioner, oil service, etc. The car has a Stage 1 tune (it had it before I bought it), and I recently removed the DPF and disabled the EGR for a short amount of time.

The issue I had since I bought the car is: when I rev the engine and take my foot off the accelerator, the moment the RPMs reach idling RPM, a little short rattling sound comes from the front (it doesn't shake the car). This noise becomes more noticeable after driving it in the city after highway driving. Also, after a 15-30 minute drive, if you just slightly touch the accelerator pedal and keep it there, it constantly makes this noise. The sound was noticeable before I did the whole service.

I also checked the injectors during idle through VCDS. All 4 of them were well inside the range of -2.8 to 2.8 mg.

I have no idea what it can be, it can also be totally normal, but it is concerning to me every time I drive the car. I've never heard this kind of sound on any other A3 or an equivalent MK6 Golf. It might be specific to the 2.0 model, but I wanted to hear thoughts from you guys.

Also if this helps: when I first start the car, leave it in neutral, and take my foot off the clutch, this rattling sound is noticeable until the engine stabilizes. It does 5-6 rattles and it stops. Sometimes when I also change gears the sound can be noticeable, not very often though (mostly after driving 120km for 30-40 minutes).

I was wondering if this has to do something with the transmission, when I took out the old clutch, it was absolutely fully burnt; both the flywheel and pressure plate also were toast. A friend of mine said that the mounts might be the fault.

I wanted to hear your thoughts about this before I send it to a dealer.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
No familiarity with this engine, but the description of the problem kind of sounds like it could be an oil chain (oil pump), or some tensioner isn't able to manage slop in something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts