VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 A3 2.0 ltr tdi. The dealer says change oil at 5k for the first oil change then at 10k there after. The oil seems to get black very soon after the oil change. Is it ok to use a diesel engine flush additive at a quick lube shop to remove sludge and deposits in the engine? The quick lube shop says it ok to use and will not void warranty. Tim

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
NO! Sorry for the caps but 1: the owner's manual says 10k 1st oil change. I'll bet the dealer is making you pay for the 1st oil change right? The oil will turn black the first time you start the engine because any soot in the residual oil is enough to turn it all black.

2. Do not use a diesel engine flush. The engine is brand new, why does it need a flush? Synthetic oil will keep it very clean.

3. Use only 507.00 spec VW-Audi oil. This is formulated for work with the DPF system. You can buy it online or from dealer. Check out the new owner's guide in the FAQ as well, many more helpful tips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2011 A3 2.0 ltr tdi. The dealer says change oil at 5k for the first oil change then at 10k there after. The oil seems to get black very soon after the oil change. Is it ok to use a diesel engine flush additive at a quick lube shop to remove sludge and deposits in the engine? The quick lube shop says it ok to use and will not void warranty. Tim
And to add to what Mr. Bang said -- don't ever take your TDI (or any other car in my opinion, but especially a TDI) to a quick lube shop. Ever. They have ruined more motors than probably any other source.

Your TDI has very specific specs for fluids and lubricants, serious damage may result from ignoring them. Wrong oil can lead to expensive emissions system failures. Your Quicky Lube won't use the right oil. They often strip drain plugs, over and under fill your crankcase. They try to sell you services you don't need, and then screw it up to boot.

Change oil at 10,000 mile intervals. More often offers no advantages, and too frequent a renewal of detergents may lead to excess wear.

Diesel oil always turns very dark, almost immediately. It is formulated to keep soot in suspension, and Diesels make soot. Get used to it.

P.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Why would an engine have sludge and deposits after 5K miles? Sounds like the quick lube was trying to remove the deposits from your wallet.

I just had my oil changed at 10K by the dealer a few weeks ago and, when checking the oil level the next day, was surprised how dirty the oil appeared on the dipstick. However, this is my first experience with both a diesel and synthetic oil so I guess I have some learnin' to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
About 507 Spec oil for Golf TDI 2005 in Australia

NO! Sorry for the caps but 1: the owner's manual says 10k 1st oil change. I'll bet the dealer is making you pay for the 1st oil change right? The oil will turn black the first time you start the engine because any soot in the residual oil is enough to turn it all black.

2. Do not use a diesel engine flush. The engine is brand new, why does it need a flush? Synthetic oil will keep it very clean.

3. Use only 507.00 spec VW-Audi oil. This is formulated for work with the DPF system. You can buy it online or from dealer. Check out the new owner's guide in the FAQ as well, many more helpful tips.
I've got a Golf 2005 TDI 2.0l and I've got some oil for a change from a supplier here in Australia on there site it says it's ok for the Golf I have though it doesn't say 504 and 507 spec I'm not sure if my Golf actually has a DPF Diesel Particle Filter which seems that was mainly what the 507 spec was for. From what I've found different countries have different specifications.
Also found this link which talks about how it works as I had no idea it even existed http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm
Here is the actual oil http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/GulfWesternAus/default.asp http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/EuroEnergy.html
It works out to be $187 for 20l which is $37 per 5l which was normally paying $80 per 5l previously

·
Registered
74 Posts
Note that Audi pays for the 5K oil change at the dealership. Subsequent changes are on your nickel, either a la carte, or as part of AudiCare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts