VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/pressreleases/gen/20100209.htm

I'm not an economist but if commodity prices rise, wouldn't the price of biodiesel go even higher due to feedstock?

GRAPEVINE, Texas - Prominent economist and futures forecaster Don Reynolds sees light at the end of the tunnel for the biodiesel industry. During his keynote speech to the 2010 Biodiesel Conference & Expo today, Reynolds predicted that 2010 will be a year of recovery and renewed momentum for the biodiesel industry.

"The biodiesel industry was sold on the premise that it's good for a green economy," Reynolds said. "But it's actually much more than that. I'm bullish on biodiesel because it's important to our national security. Biodiesel is critical to cutting into our trade deficit by lowering our dependence on foreign oil."

Said to have an "uncanny ability to make astonishingly accurate predictions," Reynolds believes that overall, the economy is getting better and will continue to get better. But, he warns that there are several reasons why it will take long time to get back to the economic growth rates our country experienced from 2004-2006. He urges that everything be placed in the context of a complete global meltdown that was successfully avoided.

Despite the recovery, Reynolds envisions the next decade producing less than average growth, due to structural problems and the bad choices we have made with personal and government debt. He believes 2010 will be characterized by rising long-term interest rates as inflationary forces grow, due to the global economic recovery and a weak U.S. dollar driving commodity prices higher.

A resident of Ft. Worth, Texas, Reynolds' prominence as a forecaster began with his "astonishingly accurate" predictions on oil prices for the Texas State Legislature. He then served for eleven years as Chairman of the Investment Advisory Board of a $22 billion trust fund and was appointed by George W. Bush as Pension Board Chairman with oversight of $100 billion in investments. Don has also worked for three of the nation’s largest brokerage firms. He founded 21st Century Forecasting in 1986, a research company focusing on long-term global, economic, demographic and technology trends.

Reynolds has a Masters Degree in Public Administration/Planning, a Doctoral background in Economics, and is a graduate of the Securities Industry Institute of the Wharton School. He has taught at the university level for ten years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Predictions

I sure hope this prediction is correct. I have been a supporter of biodiesel for several years. The company I work for has used B20 in their delivery fleet for over five years with no detrimental effects to the engines. I use B20 in my E350 Ford 6.0 Power Stroke and get close to 21 MPG on the freeway. (even though Ford says to use nothing higher than B5).
I hope the current administration can help get this ball rolling a bit faster as it makes so much sense to me.
I also hope the research into algae diesel is fruitful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts