VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my Jetta headrests. The dealer said they didn't have alternates, but I'll have to ask about substituting Golf or GTI ones if they are a bit straighter. I am getting to the point of rigging some sort of foam backrest to save my neck.
I have the same problem with my 2014 Jetta SW and its driving me crazy. Yes, to those who've reclined their seat to improve their comfort. I came to the VW from Toyota, who offered an articulating headrest. If the VW form is supposed to prevent whiplash that's great, but I may have a cervical neck herniation before I have any collisions. I think VW should go back to the ergonomic drawing board, and articulate the headrest while maintaining the whiplash safety feature.
Saving that, does ANYONE have an after factory site for an articulating head rest? I'm not happy to spend the money, but I will to obtain improved comfort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its the same in my '13 GTI Wolfsburg (Interlagos plaid fabric interior). I also have a '00 B5 Passat which has the angle adjustable headrests. I can confirm they fit the GTI, as I just tried it a few minutes ago. This might mean the same revision A4 headrests fit as well. I would suspect multiple models and years fit, as VWAG is all about sharing parts across models and badges. Now I just need to find an extra set and an upholsterer who will cover them in the suitable black fabric with red stitching...

Edit: I can also confirm the rear headrests in the GTI fit as well, but it's pointless because the're even worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got some Beetle headrests, tore apart the oem ones, and added the oem stalks to the Beetle headrests. Works well, sits back 2-3 inches more than the oem ones, and has an adjustable tilt. They match well, but not exact. Before I did this I tilted the seat back quite a bit which made the oem rests a bit more bearable.

How did the stalks come out of the old headrest and into the new ones? Did you have to cut the fabric and resew it together?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swapped out the headrests in my wife's Sportwagen with beetle rear seat headrests. I needed no modifications. I snagged the headrests from a junkyard on eBay who claimed they were 98-05 beetle rears.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've always been bewildered by the design of headrests in cars. nearly all cars are adjustable up and down but not fore and aft. I had a Toyota Supra and now an Audi A3 that move up/down/fore/aft and always thought...Doh! ... another stupid engineer (there's a lot out there) who engineered VW headrests. Really the most important part of a headrest is not the height, but how far it is from the occupants head to prevent/minimize injury when the head/neck does the whipping motion. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2013 Sport wagon and its the first car I've had that's been so uncomfortable for my neck. I'll see if the Beetle rears work if I can find some, but the driver restraint seems to be locked in, there's only the adjusting button, which doesn't completely release it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just wondering if any of you have swapped out your mk6 headrests, or if any of the other VW headrests fit the mk6 seats and are more comfortable.

The design of the mk6 headrests is unbelieveably bad. They should be a few inches back from where they are. It is impossible to have anything like correct sitting posture with their design. They force your head forward from where it would naturally sit. They must be using some F'd up crash test dummies if they think this is "safer", you could move it back 2" and my head would still lean against it the whole time, no gap for whiplash.

Anyone know what I can swap them with? Are the headrests the same in all the mk6 golf/gti/jetta/etc?
2011 sportwagen, I put my rear headrests in front and the neck problem was solved and also gave much better visibility to rear passengers. I also had some 06-10 beetle in front that worked but material wasnt a direct match and were tall. I think the beetle were leather and mine are leatherette. I ended up buying some older 09-12 cc for the rear and went the extra in the middle and go a 06-10 Passat middle and it gave me lots of visibilty with same rear passenger support and way lower. Back seat folds down with front seats all the way back now.
06 07 08 09 10 VW Passat Rear Center Headrest Black
06 07 08 09 10

passat center

cc rear
Automotive lighting Tints and shades Auto part Automotive design Fashion accessory

Rectangle Chair Grey Eyewear Tints and shades

beetle 06-10

21 - 34 of 34 Posts