VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the wheels have changed. Is there anything else? I'm wondering if it's best to look for a newer one.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
IIRC, only the Titanium package wheel has changed. The S-line and I think the base may be the same, not 100% sure.

Other than that, I believe they are the same. I just checked the Audi site and the 2011 still shows the white bar across the full taillights which isn't there (it's on the outer light but not the inner). It also says "Concert radio" but then shows a picture of the Nav.

I think that's the differences but if anyone has a 2011 Audi A3 TDI, please chime in.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Sorry, I meant Sport package, not s-line. All Audi A3 TDI in North America have the S-line body trim. The Sport package adds 18" wheels, suspension, and sport seats, and I think a sport steering wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about other differences between the 2010 A3 TDI and the 2011 model? I can't seem to find a Nav system option for the 2011. I'm looking at getting a 2011 A3 TDII but Audi Canada says there is no NAV system available for the 2011 year:dunno. Anybody know if thats true and why? Wonder if it's possible to get a decent system and retrofit it? Any info would be appreciated with thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I can see, it should be plug-play with the right software code and if you add the GPS antenna and this wiring adapter: http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_26&products_id=100 That's weird, if you go to Audi.ca there's no option to add the GPS...the US site shows the option.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. Do you know what make/manufacturer the Nav in the 2010 came from? The Rep at Audi Ca. didn't seem to know why it wasn't an option for the 2011. Strange that an upscale brand name like Audi would suddenly drop a Nav option on the 2011 run. I've heard rumors that the current A3 body unit is nearing the end of it's life-cycle and that there's a major 2012/13 revision coming .. but who knows!? I'll follow up on your link and many thanks.

R.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Yep, the A3 is probably on its last year. The 2012 or 2013 Audi A3 will be all new. Early indications suggest it will be a sedan and not a long hatchback. It's supposed to be fit where the first Audi A4 from 1996 was in terms of size and price.

Just looking on ebay, it's made in Japan by Aisin. If you buy one online, make sure you buy one loaded with North American software and firmware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, the A3 is probably on its last year. The 2012 or 2013 Audi A3 will be all new. Early indications suggest it will be a sedan and not a long hatchback. It's supposed to be fit where the first Audi A4 from 1996 was in terms of size and price.
Interesting! That tidbit of info might be a game-changer for me and I'll probably defer my purchase till we find out more. You'll probably find out down there before we do up here so I'll be tracking this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
My wish list for a next project car is either an Audi A3 sedan, A4 wagon, or "NMS" Passat replacement wagon. The way I see it, the A3 will be small enough to not bother getting in wagon form but if I get an A4 or the next North American Passat, I will go big. I also want to wait and see what these cars are going to look like. I just checked and the latest news is that the 2012 Audi A3 will be all new. The Passat replacement just for North America will be shown in January at a major auto show. The A4 was recently revised and I don't like that the rear of the wagon is so aerodynamic - it really cuts down on cargo space. The probability that there will be an Audi A4 TDI in 2012 or 2013 is better than ever but Audi first made the official announcement of TDI engines back in 2007 and it didn't happen until 2009....so I wouldn't wait on that. The Passat wagon will be bigger and cheaper than the A4 but if they go nuts with decontenting it, I'll get something else or wait to buy one used. The NMS is supposed to be cheaper than the Euro Passat but I want to see where they made it cheaper.

My family purchased a loaded A4 in 1997 new and the sticker was only $35k - with leather, quattro, sunroof, auto, bose, sport, and they included 3 years maintenance. The base price was only $28k. If they have a well equipped A3 quattro sedan w/TDI I would seriously look at it. And if the A4 was such a good seller back then, why wouldn't the same size/price car also do well again? The a4 has grown quite a bit.

The funny thing is that the Golf 6 has only been around since 2010 and the Golf 7 is already being planned for 2012 or 2013. As a wild speculation, there's the possibility it might not make it to North America for the first year - the Golf 5 was sold in Europe for a few years before its NA intro. They were still selling Golf 4 until then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wish list for a next project car is either an Audi A3 sedan, A4 wagon, or "NMS" Passat replacement wagon. The way I see it, the A3 will be small enough to not bother getting in wagon form but if I get an A4 or the next North American Passat, I will go big. I also want to wait and see what these cars are going to look like. I just checked and the latest news is that the 2012 Audi A3 will be all new. The Passat replacement just for North America will be shown in January at a major auto show. The A4 was recently revised and I don't like that the rear of the wagon is so aerodynamic - it really cuts down on cargo space. The probability that there will be an Audi A4 TDI in 2012 or 2013 is better than ever but Audi first made the official announcement of TDI engines back in 2007 and it didn't happen until 2009....so I wouldn't wait on that. The Passat wagon will be bigger and cheaper than the A4 but if they go nuts with decontenting it, I'll get something else or wait to buy one used. The NMS is supposed to be cheaper than the Euro Passat but I want to see where they made it cheaper.

My family purchased a loaded A4 in 1997 new and the sticker was only $35k - with leather, quattro, sunroof, auto, bose, sport, and they included 3 years maintenance. The base price was only $28k. If they have a well equipped A3 quattro sedan w/TDI I would seriously look at it. And if the A4 was such a good seller back then, why wouldn't the same size/price car also do well again? The A4 has grown quite a bit.

The funny thing is that the Golf 6 has only been around since 2010 and the Golf 7 is already being planned for 2012 or 2013. As a wild speculation, there's the possibility it might not make it to North America for the first year - the Golf 5 was sold in Europe for a few years before its NA intro. They were still selling Golf 4 until then.
I certainly know what you're saying as I share many of your concerns. It kind of puts me between a rock and a hard place though. Not ever having owned a TDI, I had pumped myself up towards a 2011 A3 TDI purchase this week and have pestered my local Audi sales guy with numerous visits and phone calls. BTW, he still insists that Audi will stay with a general hatchback model for the forthcoming changes on the A3 and he had me believing him until I read your post. He's just come back from a sponsered week at the Audi plant in Germany so I kind of took him at his word. But, he's a sales guy and he may well be blowing smoke to make the sale.

He says there are no 2010 A3's to be had anywhere and he only has 2011 Quattro A3's on the lot, so anything I bought would be an order and not available for about 3 or 4 months but thats not really a problem. The decontenting of the 2011 Jetta, as minor as it is, kind of set off the alarm bells and I don't really know if they'll do anything drastic in that way to any A3 revisions coming down the pipe.

You're certainly right about the A4. I have a 1999 1.8T AWD virtually the same as the one you've described and todays new A4 is fully 15 inches longer, to the point that I couldn't fit it into the garage with the others cars in there. But, I'd sure be attracted to a new A4 with the same features and dimensions of the late 1990's/early 2000's. Thanks for the insight .. gives me a new perspective I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received (last week!) my 2011 A3 TDI after approx. 2 months wait after ordering it. I can confirm that you can get a nav system with it as I have one, but that's here in California, not in the great white north :) I also have S-line badging on it (from the Sports package I believe, as I didn't get the titanium sports package, just the normal sports package, I'm not sure if the S-line badging comes with the base model.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts