VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should they last?

The writeup says that they can last a long time but other people say that they need to be changed by 100,000 miles. I can see how they get worn out since it's constantly moving, but a few hundred dollars for nozzles buys a lot of gas. Is there a big difference between the bosio nozzles and the generic nozzles?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
The people who sell nozzles will tell you that they are dead by 100,000 miles. In reality, they can be shot by 50,000 or they can be in perfect shape at 300,000 miles.

Use high quality fuel, a splash of biodiesel or fuel conditioner works great, and keep water out of the fuel. The TDI nozzles last a lot longer than the older diesel nozzles.

The Bosch nozzles are "hydrodynamically" rounded when they are machined. The Bosio nozzles are also mass produced but the PP nozzles are individually checked when they are made and supposedly have a conical orifice. This is supposed to result in higher quality. I personally would not buy generic nozzles, if you are strapped for cash, just buy a can of diesel purge to clean the system. Cheap nozzles tend to wear out due to poor machining. I've read that the markup on nozzles is pretty high but they are a small seller so they are pretty fairly priced. Read the nozzle FAQ here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/TDInozzleFAQ.htm

more info in there!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the price difference isn't that much but a penny saved...

what about clutch slip. The writeup says that it's conservative.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
It depends, some people have gotten clutch slip with just a chip.

You can help control it by gently rolling into the throttle. If you look at the power curve, it spikes at around 1800-2100 rpm. You might get a boost spike too, at lower rpm too if you press hard suddenly too. Then again, some people can get by with a chip and bigger nozzles too.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Surprisingly, no bosch nozzles aren't consistently the best. They should be better but their quality control is not as good as it should be. The power plus bosio nozzles are each QC checked. Your clutch might not slip with +2 size nozzles, it might slip with just a chip, it depends.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I have nozzles pp520 and RC2-3 in both of my cars, and no slippage so far, but 1 of my car is a golf 99.5 so i believe that has stronger clutch than my 2000 Jetta, but still both of my cars are ok.

I believe that in your case it will depend on the nozzle that you get, and the condition of the clutch in your car.. My old nozzles were great, when I pulled them out,, in one of my car 132K, and the other 140K... If you happen to change the nozzles, you would not be dissapointed if you replace them with a Bosio nozzles, guarantee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts