VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a new car, and I'm very interested in the Golf TDI. I was considering VW reliability and cost of ownership, and I wondered if having low-profile tires is going to cost more down the line, both in more frequent replacement from normal wear and/or from more frequent accidents due to the low profile. I notice more and more new cars from all manufactures trending to lower profile tires. I hear scary anecdotes about tires blowing out and rims bending from relatively innocuous potholes. Does the lower profile improve handling, fuel efficiency, or just look good? How do they affect my getting around in bad weather, ice and snow? Why can't I seem to Google any thorough discussions about this issue?

Thanks for any and all feedback, but I would really appreciate any citations to hard data or studies from reliable sources.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Low profile tyres can help with handling because there's a lot less flexing which is why touring cars have them but on regular roads in a regular car they can be a pita, the tyres cost a lot more, the ride comfort is out the window because the tyres help to absorb bumps and generally low profiles are fairly wide which isn't as good in the snow, you'll notice rally cars tend to fit skinny wheels and tyres for the winter weather because the narrow tyres cut through the snow better.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The stock 17" tires are not what I would consider low profile. But yes,the thinner the sidewalls, the more likely they won't absorb damage from a huge pothole.

Low profile improves handling since the sidewalls are thinner and are generally made thicker and stiffer. It has a minimal affect of FE because you're moving the moment of inertia farther out, the bigger decrease comes more from the wider tires. The wider a tire is, as seatman seat, the greater the chance for hydroplaning and winter poor traction because the front can float across the surface more. The surface patch is about the same size in a wider tire since that is a function of tire pressure and weight, but the surface patch does change shape.

The tire choice has a far greater affect on winter traction. Get snow tires. I don't know of any hard data for you to look at but this is all common knowledge amongst people who are into cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
low profile tyres

Hi m8 i can speak from personal use NO these r ok mine r 222/45x17 couple o months ago i gave drivers front wheel&tyre a verry hard whack :eek cos exiting rondabout another car was in my blind spot(didn't see till i checked door mirror)&i ran up kerb :panic: thought i'd buckled the wheel but a good examination when i got home revealed it 2 b fine:laugh:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts