VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sticker on my car says it is manufactured and assembled in Germany. Are the TDIs only made in Germany? Which Golf models are made in Mexico?

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
96 Posts
mkvi Golf are. Jetta TDI and sportwagens (Golf wagons) are made (assembled) in Mexico. I think the engine components come from all over the world.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The sticker on my car says it is manufactured and assembled in Germany. Are the TDIs only made in Germany? Which Golf models are made in Mexico?

Thanks
Luke
the key is the VIN: if it starts with WVW it's from Germany. I think the engine was assembled in Hungary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought the 11th digit of the VIN gave you the assembly plant for the vehicle eg M would be made in Mexico, W would be Wolfsburg etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be more specific if the first character starts with a "W", the car was manufactured in Germany. If it starts with a "3" the car is from Mexico.
x2. i'm with roy on this one. at least from what i've heard and been told, if the first letter in the VIN starts with W, its german.

·
Registered
14 Posts
x2. i'm with roy on this one. at least from what i've heard and been told, if the first letter in the VIN starts with W, its german.
I still don't think thats correct...It may be a German based manufacturer, but the first digit , say 'W' does not mean the vehicle was made/assembled in that country. The 11th digit shows the country of assembly.

What first digit does the Mk6 TDI Jetta Sports Wagen show for instance & where was that assembled ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts