VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Regina, Saskatchewan:

Presently have 2002 Jetta TDI that is giving a little grief. It is acting somewhat like the description of Limp Mode. Is not producing much power but when accelerating the motor surges, good power for about 1 to two seconds then none for about the same time. Off and on, but won't pull over 4000 RPM in any gear. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Arby

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Does turning the car off and back on reset the problem? I have a feeling that fixing the surging will fix the low power. Take a look through the checklist and if you're stuck on any step, please post a follow up. It should pull at higher rpm but in case you're not sure what it feels like, hp is higher there but torque isn't, just in case you have a different idea of how it should pull.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turning the car off and jon doesn't reset the problem. It has about the same ambition as my 1993 Passat Turbo diesel or my old '84 rabbit diesel. The fuel milage has really dropped off - less thatn half of normal. Seems starved for air, like running a gas motor on full choke. Suspect turbo troubles.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi bud, Have you had a look at your air filter? Have you had a look at the pipes going to the turbo? Is it using a lot of oil? Have you unplugged the maf sensor to see if it makes any difference? Also check the vacuum pipes going to and from the turbo and egr.:) (Ps and have you replaced the fuel filter?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

All new filters but will try the other suggestions...Thanks!! Not using any oil but fuel milage is less than half of normal...

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
The power does tend to go after about the 4000rpm mark on tdi car's as far as I'm aware. Mine runs out of any real power just after that but it should pull nicely all the way up to there though. I don't suppose you've had the car connected up to look for fault codes have you? (When I say connected up I'm talking about vag com or vcds) It could point to the problem and save you a lot of messing about.:)

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Hi,
Have you checked your intake manifold for coke build up?
The first time my car acted like that when I removed the shut down butterfly the manifold only had 1/2 inch of opening left.
I have had to do mine twice in 340,000 km.
Symptoms - no power , exessive fuel consumption and some surging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts