VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's looking pretty bad so far but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how bad it actually is. It can make you feel a bit useless though seeing these things in the media and it makes me wonder how I would cope with such a thing. They just said on the news that so far they think it's about a 1000 people that have drowned so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks like there's been some sort of explosion at one of nuke plants and but they're not sure which building failed. They know there's radiation leaking so that's not good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It could be worse, they have emergency drills and developed resources. It could be Haiti with no prepardness and little resources. Even still, they are calling this one the big one.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I am actually pretty amazed how little the death toll is so far compared to what I was expecting considering the size of the quake and how close it was to the shore.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am actually pretty amazed how little the death toll is so far compared to what I was expecting considering the size of the quake and how close it was to the shore.
Yeah... i figured it'd be at least in the hundreds of thousands

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Last I seen they're saying 1300 dead, about the same injured and something like 12000 missing and the power plant issues are still ongoing.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Just watching BBC news and they're talking to a fire chief, the guy says that they had these flood gates in place but they didn't close quick enough so some of his crew tried to close them and didn't make it. The thing is though he told the people in charge about two years ago there was a problem with the gates but nobody listened and that's one of the reasons so many people drowned. Typical isn't it.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup
people think something isn't a priority issue until its too late
very typical

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was pretty interesting: A section of the Great Kanto Highway in Naka was destroyed by the Earthquake but rebuilt in 6 days. If you read the comments on autoblog they mention a bridge in Oakland that was damaged but repaired in a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts