VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am trying to get that part/hose/funnel for the AdBlue that is so special to the Q7 TDI. This part allows one to fill the big tank and maybe "burp" the system?
Called dealership, said it was proprietary info/job security issues if they shared that # with me.:BS

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I am not aware that there is one. A tip from other users: take a user small adblue bottle and cut the bottom off. Then use it as a funnel.

From what I can tell, the small upper tank is the one with the fill cap and the fill cap does not have a screwy routing to the lower tank, the fill cap just empties into to the upper tank. Looking at the parts diagram, I cannot see any way to add fluid directly to the big tank without having it dribble through the small upper tank. It looks like the upper tank is shaped so that once the aft side has enough fluid it just spills over to the forward side of the tank and flows into the lower tank.

There's a transfer line and a breather line from the upper tank to the lower tank. I don't see any pumps on those lines so it probably just drips down. The lower tank has a small pump to move it to the upper tank through another line.

From the upper tank, there's a supply and return line to the adblue pump. After the adblue pump there's only a feed line which goes to the adblue injector. My guess is that it's under pressure.

Look through this DPF FAQ article for VW and Audi for more pictures.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I am not aware that there is one. A tip from other users: take a user small adblue bottle and cut the bottom off. Then use it as a funnel.

Looking at the parts diagram, I cannot see any way to add fluid directly to the big tank without having it dribble through the smal upper tank.

From what I can tell, the small upper tank that you add fluid to is the one that pumps fluid to the Adblue injector. The big lower tank is a passive holding tank with a small pump to bring fluid up to the upper tank.
There is a tool that the dealers use. I've seen a picture of it. It has a long tube that goes through the small tank to more easily fill the big one at the bottom.

It looks like both tanks feed the Adblue injector. Dashed blue line from the lower tank and dashed orange line from the smaller to tank in this diagram:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f20/audi-q7-tdi-adblue-tank-dpf-filter-diagram-2996/

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There is a tool that the dealers use. I've seen a picture of it. It has a long tube that goes through the small tank to more easily fill the big one at the bottom.
OK, I think I know what you mean - is it this on the left or right? It was mentioned in http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/adblue-level-tsb-2000/ the ADblue TSB but I thought it was a fancy funnel.

It looks like the long thin end goes into the bucket and the short cylinder goes into the fill port or is there another location to add fluid? FYI it costs about $280 and the tool part number is VAS6542 (VAS 6542)

or this? This is a tank to suck the old Adblue out. You use compressed air with a venturi to create a vacuum and it pulls the old fluid out. Extraction quantity with a vacuum of - 0.7 bar approx. 7 liters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea what the left or the right pictures are. I called IMPEX and they said they needed a part number. My problem with filling up the smaller reservoir is that I don't know when the lower reservoir is being used up. If at all. Second issue is, if the second bigger eservoir is not being used frequently because we keep topping off the little reservoir, this darn fluid has a shelf life. Which means it has a "tank" life, arguably shorter because of the constant temperature flux. Which lead US with really only 2 options:
1) get the correct part, which Audi won't let us know the # of, or
2) have the dealership fill it up for you. Probably get a massage while at it.:BS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or is there anyone who has a friend at a dealership, or a recently let go mechanic from a dealership who is a member here. Maybe we can get the oh-so-secret part #.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Unless Dutch van Atlanta says it's not right, the tool you are talking about is the one shown that looks like a white tank with hoses and the part number is VAS6542.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I top mine off regularly from the 2.5 gallon bottle using a bottom cut off 1/2 gallon bottle as a funnel. It will only fill the top tank, but this runs down by gravity to the larger bottom tank. (See the other threads on this subject in this forum.) That dealer tool is not necessary - it's just more convenient; and I know of at least one dealer who uses the same technique as I do to refill the AdBlue tank.

I have 14k miles on my Q7 TDI, and have added a total of about 8 gallons of DEF this way. No problems and no need to get anything readapted by the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good to know Dutch. Do you keep a huge 2.5 gallon of that stuff somewhere special to get the most shelf life out of it? I was thinking of putting my 2.5 under the house crawl space on top of a plastic wrap/tarp; temp under there is almost always at 70-74 degrees all year.:bowdown

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
good to know Dutch. Do you keep a huge 2.5 gallon of that stuff somewhere special to get the most shelf life out of it? I was thinking of putting my 2.5 under the house crawl space on top of a plastic wrap/tarp; temp under there is almost always at 70-74 degrees all year.:bowdown
Either in my basement or my garage. They claim a shelf life of one year for the stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts