VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be considering a new TD soon. has anyone experienced the steering anomolies expresed on NHTSA.gov website under the complaints section? I am looking at the cruze, but if the steering is an issue, I don't want to deal with that for the next 200,000+ miles

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
The only "steering" complaint I see on the page is a broken axle, which actually falls under the current recall Chevy has going; basically all Cruze models manufactured from January - August 2013.

If you go to the recalls page after searching for 2013 or 2014 Cruze, you'll see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue I speak of is that vehicle owners have complained of the steering wheel sticking when attempting to make minor lane corrections. This occurs at highway speeds only. Has anyone experienced this condition? I have read some complaints that said this has resulted in over correction.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Reference? Not saying it isn't true, but there are only 9 complaints on the 2013 Cruze page and that isn't one of them that I saw?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I looked at the 2014 complaints page. It would be great if td cruze owners /forum members would report their experience here. Also referred to as "notchy" steering on cruzetalk forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked at the 2014 complaints page. It would be great if td cruze owners /forum members would report their experience here. Also referred to as "notchy" steering on cruzetalk forum.
No steering problems to date here after 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got a 2014 cruze diesel with steering issues. Took it to the dealership and they said it was a piece of trim rubbing the steering shaft. They ordered a new piece of trim and bent the trim so it would not rub steering shaft. This problem first felt like a CV joint going bad, when turning I could feel a slight click in the steering wheel. I have not had the new piece of trim put on yet, but have not had any more steering issues since the mechanic bent the trim out of the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should have received a "Special Coverage Adjustment" letter from Chevy regarding that "notchy" wandering steering problem on some Cruze's (not just TD models). It came out just this past week. It says that they will do a software upgrade for free only if you are currently having the problem. They did extend the warranty for this problem for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles after the purchase date, regardless of ownership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 with sticking steering problem, this only happens after you have driven 30 miles at highway speeds. GM reprogrammed and it fixed issue... this is a known issue, and a quick fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts