VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My brother was given a interface cable that is supposed to work with the VAG-COM software, at least some version of the software. I think it was purchased back in 2004 - at least that is the date that the shipping box has on it. It was purchased in Germany from some company called Knauber & Grub.

I was considering trying out the shareware version of the Ross Tech software and seeing it the older versions would work with the cable that he's got. The idea is to save some money by just buying the software. Of course, the idea is to save money but then I go reading all the disclaimers and warnings on the ross-tech site and what I don't want to do is mess anything up.

Obviously, purchasing the kit from them would be simple enough and I understand that they don't want to have to worry with third party cables.

Has anyone used a third-party cable with the software?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
It can't hurt. I believe that shareware lets you do some basic stuff like check timing but I've never tried it. And no idea if it works with the KG cable. The warnings are so they can make their money. If it doesn't work then you can buy a cable later. A little advanced or retarded timing won't make your car blow up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worked well

I bought the software ($99 I think) and it worked pretty well with the cable. Definitely useful software and it helped me diagnose and adjust the timing on my Jetta.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts