VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the old engine out OK but having a really hard time getting the new engine to join up with the gearbox. I did get the clutch centered and I got them virtually together (the ring gear just inside the bell-housing)...just can't push them the last inch. I guess trying to turn the engine over by hand might align the splines... but this is a monster. I am thinking about dropping both engine and box down to the floor and getting them together before pulling them back up into the engine bay.

Anyone out there done this dozens of times before and found a good trick?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol they're a pita sometimes, it's like you fart about for ages then all of a sudden it just slips into place, probably a lot easier taking box out and joining them together first. I can't think of any tips, it just seems to be that way sometimes, wiggle wiggle and wiggle some more then clunk and it's all perfect.:)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
The last inch is ALWAYS tough. Be careful not to rest the trans input shaft on the clutch disk.

When it does finally slip in be careful it doesn't slide right back out again. Don't ask me how I know that!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did you use a clutch alignment tool to center the clutch disc with the bushing in the flywheel before you tightened the pressure plate? You can not allow the alignment tool to sag when you tighten the pressure plate. You should also be able 'freely' reinstall the alignment tool after the pressure plate is torqued.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the trick

I tried putting a couple of longer bolts through the gearbox to the engine...which meant the shaft was lined up as long as I kept it straight, gave the crank pulley a turn...and Bob is still my uncle... after almost 8 hours of grunting, it slipped in in moments. All I had to do then was swop a few bolts around.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I use a half inch extension bar to get the clutch plate centred first and then get them close together and a bit of wiggling, that usually works for me. You need to leave the pressure plate bolts loose enough so they're just holding the friction plate and no more then once centred tighten them up.:)

Could've been worse, bob might have been a transvestite:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts